This lone chick is killing us...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by iplsmama, Jan 25, 2011.

1. iplsmama

iplsmama Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2010
    This lone chick we hatched is so lonely. I am picking up 1 or 2 chicks tomorrow to keep it company but right now we have to hold it in our shirts or under our necks for her/him to not be peeping constantly. I tried a stuffed animal, mirror, and one of those rice packs that I warmed slightly in the oven--any other suggestions to quiet it down. I don't know how we are going to sleep tonight.

2. Chicken0Boy

Chicken0Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

I use clocks covered by a white cloth/sheet/towel if they won't stop peeping! I have heard the ticking noise sounds like a mothers heartbeat... It has workerd for me mostly. [​IMG]

Hope I helped! [​IMG]

3. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I bought a cheap boa at Michaels and cut off a piece about 8 inches long and put it in with lone chicks. They snuggle right up under "mama".

4. iplsmama

May 2, 2010
    She's in my shirt now--isn't it ridiculous?!! We have a boa, I'm gonna try that. I thought she was just cold so I brought up the temp of the brooder but that only lasted for a few minutes before she started peeping and trying to jump out again. She's as quiet as a mouse in between my breasts though LOL!!

5. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    If it makes you feel any better, my chicks this summer peeped and peeped if I wasn't in sight. I felt like a new mom needing a "break" from the baby. Like you, I carried them around the house in my shirt while doing housework. I'm glad to hear you're getting her some flockmates.

6. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    You could try a clean feather duster in the corner too so she can cuddle up in the feathers.

7. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

can you cover the brooder safely with a towel or sheeet? Don't set anything on fire of course, but covered they seem to quite down too...like a parrots cage.

8. poultrycrazy

poultrycrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    :)
    I hatched eggs for the first time and i collected eggs for seven days then put them in the bator then just kept adding eggs as they layed them till it was full [​IMG] I had the first chick hatch and she was the only one for 3 weeks before another hatched! she became so attached to me she didnt know what the new chicks were! SHE WAS MY FAVORITE CHICKEN EVER!!! I kept her another hen and a roo. Sadly when they were living outside on the second floor they were about 17 weeks and the door wasnt latched all of the way and something had opened the door and grabbed her! my dad woke me up and told me what happen, i got sooooo upset i didnt even want to get up [​IMG] when i went out there her feathers were EVERYWERE!!! I couldnt stand it, and i walked over every square foot of our 4 acres looking for any prints or clues of what it could be and i was going to kill it but never found anything except feathers. I was so devastated i stayed home from school the next day. She was the best chicken i could ever had, she kept everyone in line and was the most beautiful and nicest chicken. She had all white feathers with vertical brown stripes on each feather with a red lace on every feather. I picked up all of the feathers and put them in a shoe box and burried it. I am still very upset about it and i will never forgive myself cuz before i went to bed that night i thought about going to make sure those doors are closed but i didnt feel like it! [​IMG] Ever since then i triple check every door 4 times.

9. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    I had a chick that did that ALL THE TIME and he had a lot of flock mates. As soon as I picked him up, he shut up. I put him down, he screamed non-stop. I babied him for weeks. Operative word here is HE. HE is now a beautiful EE rooster. He's the only rooster I raised last year and he was my only screamer [​IMG]

10. iplsmama

May 2, 2010
    Yeah, I have this bad feeling that this is a rooster! I got her two adopted siblings that were hatched today and we still can't put them together because she is fretting them to death. They are trying to rest and she is pecking at their toes and eyes. Ugh he/she is killing me!! I'm gonna post a question about that right now...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by