This mash is - MASHED!

BawkinOnTheBench

Songster
11 Years
Jun 13, 2008
UT
I sent my DH to the feed store yesterday. I've been feeding my mixed flock (10wks/25wks) medicated starter/grower (because no one has had unmedicated) and he managed to find some unmedicated. But I opened the bag and this stuff looks like powder! With some very small chunks of corn mixed in! The bag has no information on it, but it rang up as 16% grower (it's called IFA Poultry Feed). I guess it's what it want - but why would they make the grower finer than starter? Won't they just make a mess with this stuff? I'm really happy to find the unmedicated, so that if the older pullets ever start laying I can sell the eggs with a clear conscience - but I just wasn't expecting this powder.

Call the feed store. Be nice and tell them just what you told us. Ask if that is the way that brand is or if you got a bad bag. If you got an unusual bag they may let you trade it.

My feed is always worse at the bottom, the larger particles are on top and the "fines" sift down. That jogged my thinking. Maybe your bag was stacked upside down. Get a bucket or something and check and see if it gets more pellety a little further down.

Crumbles of course are crushed pellets and maybe these are crumbles and you are used to pellets. Crumbles are OK. just takes the chickens longer to eat which may be a good thing. Then you have little crumbles and the dust you describe (fines).

Hey Miss Prissy

I assume the fines left at the bottom of the layer crumbles bag can be used like mash or porridge on a cold morning, is there any reason I should "not" do this to use them up.

Quote:
Well, its not actually called mash - I just figured this must be what y'all were talking about because of how it looks. Its just called Poultry feed. So even though it's so fine, is that meant to be free fed? I don't mind making the girls some oatmeal on the weekends, but not every day!

Mash can be fed free and not wet. My mash is visible pieces of grain with powder that is the calcium and mineral mix. Mash was around before there were pellets. I have a huge 30 lb. galvanized feeder & it doesn't feed down real well, but then neither did pellets or crumbles, because I never keep it very full. I love mash after using pellets for 15 years.

Back
Top Bottom