This may be a dumb question

Gamecock

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 12, 2009
Columbia Northeast SC
Should you put feed and water both inside and outside a coup? I just put my chicks outside all the time and I don't know how to ecourage them to go into the coup at dust. I go out there and they are snuggled together in a corner of the fence near the food and water.

I don't put food or water in my coops. My chickens learned to go in simply by being put in every night untill they got the hint. Unfortunately, only one of my turkeys caught on; the other 2 still make my toss their fat bodies in at night.
tongue.png

put the feed inside their coop..and keep the door open for them to go in and out as they want...then at night close them up in the coop. If you are worried about mice getting into the feed..take it out at night.
also.if you find them sleeping outside...pick them each up and bring them in the coop. eventually, they will start to go inside the coop at dusk themselves..

DO NOT put feed out side of a enclosure that keeps your babies safe.

Any feed they spill will attract a potential predator.

I put a low walled bucket of water in front of the barn and turn it over at night. They drink from it during the day and it is refilled in the morning.

You can put it inside and/or outside, like many things there is no rule saying you cant feed outside, or inside.

I have some in and some out, and my birds do just fine.

I have water in both places too, just in case you dont get out early in the Morning. They can go without food all day if you have to but they will dehydrate quicker than they starve to death.

Back
Top Bottom