This might be a stupid question - Are duck scared of the dark?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ChixPix, Jun 1, 2010.

1. ChixPix

ChixPix In the Brooder

Apr 6, 2010
    right now they are sharing a coop with the chickens until I get a small house up for them in their own run. I had a heat lamp out there, but as soon as it started being actually *warm* at night ( about a week or so ago) I put a 60 watt bulb in.

Duh me, didn't think about the chickens stirring about and not roosting (they think it's daytime dimwit), but if I don't have the light on, everyone seems very scared, mostly the ducks, but the chickens too. Do they need a night light? I have a street light near the coop, but it won't get a lot of light once their house is up.

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I don't know if ducks really are scared of the dark, but mine likes to be around the chickens. I guess she feels safer with them, being she is the ONLY duck here. [​IMG]

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    It's probably just because they aren't used to it being dark at night. Things going 'bump' in the night, and they can't see what it is. Just like anything else that gets changed, they'll get used to it.

4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I have my booder in the looungeroom...so there is light for a few hours at night even if they no longer have a heat lamp... I find the first few nights when I go to bed there is a lot of fuss made when the lounge room light is turned off....But they all soon calm down and get used to it.

5. Quote:Just look under their beds before they go to sleep to make sure there are no monsters- then they will feel better [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Just look under their beds before they go to sleep to make sure there are no monsters- then they will feel better

[​IMG]

7. ChixPix

ChixPix In the Brooder

Apr 6, 2010
    Quote:Maybe we should just communal sleep. I'm sure my husband won't mind.

8. Red Maple Farms

Red Maple Farms Wish Granted

Feb 25, 2010
    NE Wisconsin
    It's normal for duck farms to use night lights, otherwise flighty birds such as pekins will stampede if frightened.

From http://www.duckhealth.com/housmngt.html

It is also beneficial to provide dim light by means of low wattage bulbs during dark periods to help prevent stampeding if the flock is disturbed and to discourage feather pecking.

9. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

My ducks live with a baby night light. I remember when I turned off their regular light bulb used for heat very well. They screamed their lungs off. So in went the baby night light. They even have one in the duck house, even though I think they can do with out. The duck house has large windows with some solar lights in front emitting light into the yard.
    Katharina

10. ChixPix

ChixPix In the Brooder

Apr 6, 2010
    Thank you red maple! That's just what I was looking for, I knew I'd read something and was sure I wasn't {completely} crazy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by