This might be a stupid question....

mommto3kiddos

Songster
8 Years
Mar 9, 2011
We originally got two Cornish X chicks when we purchased our egg layers. They were an impulse buy (thanks cute factor) and we had every intention of "having them for dinner".. Well at 6 weeks our dog accidentally had one for lunch. The other girl was so sweet and clingy, like a cat she would run up and rub your leg, I couldn't bear to kill her.. So now she is livin it up in the hen house with the rest of the girls. Now they all are about 14 weeks old now and I was wondering....

Will she lay? I mean will she produce like a normal hen??? Shes about 3 sizes larger than our egg layers, and Im just wondering b/c of her breed, the rate and size at which she grows, will she lay??

Sorry if this is totally an idiotic question. I mean I know all chickens lay, but regularly??

Thanks
big_smile.png

Last edited:
from whsat i know you may get an egg like once a week if that maybe even a little more. but her eating so much can actually kill her you said she is 3 sizes bigger than the others you have to basicly feed her seperate the rest of her life. her weight could get to heavy and her body cant handle the weight usually a cup two times a day is sufficiant i would believe so anyway someone correct me if im wrong.

I am new to chickens as well and made the same mistake that you did. From what I have heard, they will not live long enough to lay an egg. You can forestall their life by cutting their food but from what I understand they won't live past 7 or 8 months. Hopefully someone will correct me if I am wrong.

I know what you mean about it being hard to do them in when they get older! We had three left when our processing was interrupted by a downpour. A week went by, then another, then another...........and finally this last weekend we did the deed on those last three. They were fifteen weeks old and I really liked them
sad.png
They were so cute/gawky. But, I just couldn't afford to feed them anymore.

Anyway, I've heard they're not great layers, maybe three eggs a week. They will lay, though.

Are you restricting her food? That will help her live a longer, happier life.

Good luck with your big girl.

Sadly Im not restricting her food as she is in with the other girls. I must say when I first moved her in weeks back she would lay by the feed bowl and eat all the time. Now I only see her feed when others are feeding. Plus I feed in the am and evenning so now a days she doesn't have food 24-7 like she did when I was leaving bulk out for them all. Plus she free ranges during the day with the other girls. She surprises me too b/c even though shes huge she roost on the very TOP roost with the other girls.. Didn't know she could hurl herself that far up!!!
hmm.png

Last edited:
Quote:
with cornish they are bread for meat so in their brains they are wired to eat eat eat eat as much as possible. if you want to keep her longer her food needs to be really restricted back

Back
Top Bottom