this one has me a little scared

BelovedBirds

Crossing the Road
Nov 8, 2021
England
So Sprightly has a very big appetite, she loves her food-
After her morning scrambled egg, she had her usual layers pellets, well, when I went to bring them in, the pellets were still there, half the amount or more. I knew right away that was very unusual for them, usually by this time the pellets are gone.
I brought them in, and gave some more food to see if they would eat, Dougie had some before soon after deciding she'd had enough. Her crop was pretty full, Spright dipped her bill in, picked some up, and spat them back out.
Immediately concerned.

I got some strawberry, its a huge favourite, Dougie went mad for it, Sprightly had two or three pieces excitedly and then spat the fourth out, before pooping plain water. I'm convinced she hasnt eaten since this morning, aside from that little bit of strawberry, and now refuses anything.
They definitely couldnt have gotten into any poisonous plants, and I dont think they couldve found any mouldy feed (they have a habit of spilling them around the bowl but I clean up thoroughly daily, the pellets in the bag look and smell and feel normal, and Dougie seems okay at the moment.

Spright definitely isnt herself, I can tell she isnt feeling well. Usually if I put her in my lap she chews my clothes a bunch and then settles down for a nap after a while, this time she just stood there quietly, and is now asleep.

What should I do? Activated charcoal?? Electrolytes??
I could be paranoid, but Ive never seen her like this and I'm pretty scared

Edit: she has done a small more normal looking poop, still refusing any food.

Last edited:
Did she lay today?
Ive only been getting eggs from Dougie for a good few days, honestly Im not fully convinced Sprightly is even laying, I only assumed so due to seeing two eggs recently- and with one being eaten I thought it possible that Spright has been eating hers, but it is possible that both were Dougie's- I am just not sure. I dont think she's showing signs of being egg bound, though, and I did feel her tummy and couldn't feel anything abnormal going on

Sometimes it isn't obvious when an egg is causing problems. I even recently had a duck who was laying down frequently and took her to the vet for a full work up and they told me she was in pain from becoming reproductive for the year... But she didn't lay an egg for 2 months! They were right because as soon as she did she started walking normally. *Shrug*

Anyway, I'm not saying you shouldn't be concerned. Can you take her to the vet? I know you love them very much.

I don't want to worry you even though you already are, but When one of mine acts off that is my main concern if it's a laying issue I've lost 2 to egg laying problems. Did you get Calcium Gluconate if so I'd give her a dose it def won't hurt her.
If you want to know who is laying take some food coloring and put it around the outside of her vent when she lays the egg will have food coloring on it.

I don't want to worry you even though you already are, but When one of mine acts off that is my main concern if it's a laying issue I've lost 2 to egg laying problems. Did you get Calcium Gluconate if so I'd give her a dose it def won't hurt her.
If you want to know who is laying take some food coloring and put it around the outside of her vent when she lays the egg will have food coloring on it.
It hasnt arrived yet, I wanted the proper stuff so it takes longer coming- I could use the powdered form but I'm still not sure on how much to dose- she's had a nice warm soak in the bath, just incase of egg troubles, figured it could help, but no egg yet, if there is one to come.
She's had a few nibbles of the food, which I'm glad about but it still isnt much food compared to what she should be eating, and I'm sure she's just dipping her beak in more often than actually swallowing the food. She's drinking lots of water and is walking okay at the moment, tail up and more awake than she was before. She's also been pooping, which looks normal, but only small ones.
I heard about the food colouring trick, is any food colouring safe?

Back
Top Bottom