This one is a Roo right??

MiaHudy

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 9, 2013
So Cal (sorta), California
I was out doing chores this morning and one of my "hens" attempted to crow...

I don't know why I didn't notice it sooner, because the tail is obviously different. I think it's kinda like not noticing how big your own kids are getting since you see them every day.

Before I break my hubby's heart by rehoming this guy, please confirm that he is a roo for me.
smile.png
We can't have roosters in our city.

He is panting a bit, as we are having a heat wave. Thanks for your help!

Yup, he's a rooster. I see pointy hackle and sickle feathers, and his body shape and coloration are typical of a Buff Brahma rooster.

Oh, yes, he's a boy.

The same thing happened to me recently. I hatched 10 Ameraucanas and when they were 6 weeks old I split them up into boy and girl pens. Only one went into the boy pen because his comb was very obviously much bigger than the others and already red. Two of the pullets went to a friend of mine. I thought I'd gotten really lucky to only have one cockerel and had promised 5 pullets to a friend who is still building his chicken house.

Over the past couple of weeks, I started to worry, though, because several of my pullets started to develop pretty red and lumpy combs. I convinced myself that they were pullets because the combs were still much smaller than the cockerel who had a big comb at 6 weeks, but I think deep down I knew...

All of my many cockerels (I have more than just Ameraucanas) have been crowing for a while now, but I'd only caught about 4 doing it. Then the other day, my daughter came in and said, "Mom, one of the black Ameraucanas in the girl pen just crowed." Shoot. I went out and all of a sudden the pointy neck feathers, newly appearing saddle feathers, and the deepening color of the Blue and Lavender feathers on necks and backs jumped out at me. Those 5 pullets are not pullets at all. Now I have to tell my friend that all I can give him are three bantams and a Black Marans. Sorry, Kevin!

Back
Top Bottom