This Polish is confusing me!

Andora

Songster
11 Years
Aug 26, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
I have two Polish--one has almost no comb, but huge wattles and is now growing spikes in the crest plus the black tail feathers are reflecting pretty green, so I am dubbing him a roo for sure. This him, Dr. Evil...

472135758_YaUE2-M.jpg

The other Polish is very confusing--it has wattles and a HUGE comb, it looks so silly with those red horn v things protruding from its face. But, the crest is not spiked at all, it's huge and round and fluffy. I even examined it very closely this afternoon looking for any signs of spikes and found nothing. I don't think a pullet could have such a large comb at 10 weeks old though?

I only have a back of the head picture. I'm going to take a new picture tomorrow of the huge comb and its body.

472133737_W4WWC-M.jpg

Splash (?) bird on the far left there, next to the EE roo.

Can a pullet have a giant comb? Or do some roosters take a long time to have a roo crest?

Last edited:
top pic is a roo, he has pointy saddle feathers.
I have no idea of the second(although those hackle feathers look pointy), would need a whole body pic...

Last edited:
I'm certain the wc black is a roo because of the beautiful green tail feathers coming in, they are definitely handsome roo feathers.

I'm going to go take a picture of the splash's face today. I think it has a pullet crest, but a roo face, which is what's causing the confusion. Wait until you see the comb on this bird!
hu.gif

I'm thinking at this point I'll have to keep it until it crows or lays an egg to be certain...

Last edited:
I'm 99.1% sure that first one is a roo. The second looks like a girl, but I wouldn't be very sure unless you have a full body pic. Polish chooks can be decieving, especailly because I've seen some roos with very round crests.

The WCB is a male. Both sexes will get a green sheen to them, it is not found exclusively in males.

Do you have a pic of the splash showing the face and a side profile? At that age, it's hard to tell just by looking at the back of the crest.

Well, this mystery has been solved. The splash Polish crowed this afternoon, three times in a row in my quiet suburb.
hide.gif
I love him and want to keep him but I doubt I can. He's the only one of my six roos to crow so far.

Here is his front side, don't you see why I love him.
smile.png

480357240_2jnb6-M.jpg

Check out his crest blowing in the breeze behind my little Crevocoeur.
lau.gif

480353920_GxaXh-L.jpg

Back
Top Bottom