This poor Turkey!

AdrieeC

Pink Roses Farm
9 Years
Mar 14, 2010
Pearl River
I have 3 regular BBW turkeys and 1 very unlucky BBW turkey. UNlucky has had nothing but problems since I brought him home. I say him, but I don't really know which it is yet. A few days after comming home the other three turkeys were piking unlucky's vent. So I took him out brought him into the house and cleaned him up. and kept him inside over night. the next morning I did not realize that the bathroom door had been left open and Iwas looking all around to find where unlucky had gone...he nearly drown in the dog bowl!! Then I moved the regular turkeys to the extra large wire dog crate under the big tree. That seems to be working out quite nicely for them. After a day or so I put unlucky in his own smaller crate near the others. His vent is still swolen and the regular turkeys still want to pick it. I have never had coccidosis in any of my animals but unlucky, some on suggested may have. So Unlucky has had to stay in his own crate. Today Unlucky was very enthusiastic about leaving his confines to be with the other turkeys while I was changing his food and water, and became a dog toy. I thought his leg was broken, but he hobbles on it, so it may only be sprained I am not sure. I put his food and water in such a way that he would not have to move very much to get to them inside his crate where he also had access to grass. And when I came home from the library the dog I hate was running around unlucky's crate and barking at him...unlucky not realizing that he is safe from the dog was trying to go to the opposite corner of the crate as the dog. If Unlucky makes it to the freezer I will be surprised. I am so frustrated that this poor turkey is suffering, I don't know what else I can do for him. I am just about getting to my wits end here.

Thanks for listening

At least it wasn't too hard to think of a name for this turkey
barnie.gif

It's too bad that he actually might end up in the freezer early. I can't figure out what to do with him. For now he is far too small. I am wondering if a diaper might keep the other turkeys from pecking him, and allow him to enjoy time with them while he heals. He really wants to be close to them, and they don't seem to mind him otherwsie...

That would probably work, actually, if you can keep it on. And I guess if you don't mind cleaning it up.

well for starters keep the dog away from him. keep him seperate and feed him very high protein feed so that he can grow big and strong.

Back
Top Bottom