Thistle the runt

Yeah, I meant the mini chick area is uncovered (my run is also netted over, however I never bothered netting the chick area).

After the one chick went flying over I decided to just say f- it and instead of making the chick pen taller, I just lifted the chicken wire up on bricks so chicks could dart in and out for the rest of the day. That way if anyone went over, they could simply run back in.
Smart! Hadn't thought of that.

Smart! Hadn't thought of that.
To help with visualizing, see the bricks holding the chicken wire in place? I just picked up the wire and put it on top of the bricks instead. The chicks were going to be fully released into the run with the hens the next day anyhow, so just jumped the gun by about a half day.
early4.jpg

I've been reading everything I can here on runt/FTT.
I have a wyandotte chick half the size of the other 2 and less feathering. (Daughter named her Thistle due to all the fuzzy wuzzies that stick out every where.)
This is day 2 of giving her some nutri-drench and this morning I gave all the chicks some scrambled egg.
I'm not really sure how much of the nutri-drench to drop on her beak nor how often.

She is active, eating and drinking and her poop is just like all the other chicks'. (took awhile to catch her pooping so I know whose poop I was looking at)

I'm not sure if this is helpful to know or could be a symptom of something, so thought I would add my observation just in case. Didn't see anything about it in other posts.
She is really active. Almost hyperactive compared to the others. She doesn't settle down for long.
She spends more time at the feeder than the others. She is there very often. Yesterday I bought a small bag of a different brand of chick starter and mixed it with the original feed because it looks like she does quite a bit of picking through.

I got the wyandottes on March 4. All were the same size. Few day old chicks.
Youce gotten terrific advice, but I had to comment....

Awwww... I had a Silkie named Thistle.
❤️

Here is Thistle around 6 weeks. Still fuzzy and smaller. She is a bit bigger and getting rounder.

Attachments

• IMG_4606.PNG
    IMG_4606.PNG
    3.5 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4607.PNG
    IMG_4607.PNG
    5.5 MB · Views: 11
Thistle 7 1/2 weeks.
Getting those head and neck feathers finally. Losing some of the fuzz.
1 pick next to sibling same age.

Attachments

• IMG_4641.JPG
    IMG_4641.JPG
    333.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4649.JPG
    IMG_4649.JPG
    407.1 KB · Views: 9
My 2 favorites. Don't tell the others.
Thistle at 11 weeks. Darla (sapphire gem) 12 weeks.

Attachments

• IMG_4717.JPG
    IMG_4717.JPG
    756.1 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom