Those of you who've had broody hens...question

sloper74

In the Brooder
13 Years
Jan 13, 2007
Someone told me that hens who hatch out chicks have hens that are more likely to become broody. We had a White Rock, "Betty", hatch out chicks last Sept and her daughter is now sitting on a clutch of 19 eggs (I know they can't all be fertile). Out of curiosity, is it "nurture" or a breed quality or just luck? I never thought White Rocks were supposed to go broody, we have bantams who've never done it. Any idea? My son wants to start a family tree with Betty at the top and see how far we can take it....

well i have a white rock that is broody- every spring they get an instinct to sit on eggs. some breeds like leghorns are bred not to sit on eggs. see here's a pic of her.

Love the pic! I had no idea White Rocks had the broody instinct, thanks for letting me know!

the going broody is bred into the breed of hens you have.the broody instinct can be bred out of some breeds.an even they will have some to go broody,an want to hatc eggs.

That is the picture of a broody hen!

I have a flock of 5 hens and one rooster, and I've gotten to where I can tell when the hen is broody by the look of her. The fluffed up feathers are the most distinctive look of a broody hen.

The purpose is to keep a large clutch of eggs warm
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom