those of you with "elderly" ducks -- when did they stop laying?

micaelasducks

Songster
10 Years
Apr 16, 2014
Hi everyone. I have a pair if 8 year olds ducks living out their golden years. In the past we have had issues with laying eggs -- one of them had a lash egg last summer and it was quite the drama involving nursing her back from near death. We also lost a female duck to egg binding/prolapse in the past. I was hoping that this lash egg last year was signalling the end of egg production for her and we would not but today we got another strange egg -- not really a lash egg, but a totally yolk-less shell-only egg. I am still hoping this is a fluke and we won't be doing eggs this year... haven't gotten any "real" eggs but they have always only laid in spring. I just am still so surprised they are 8 years old now and still have been laying eggs. For those of you who have had ducks until this age, when did they stop laying? How did you know they were done for good?

Great question.

I have two ducks remaining, one is 7 (welsh harlequin) and she's laying one egg daily at the moment. The other is at least 8 (dark khaki campbell) and she's laying about every 3 days. I'm hoping they'll both have henopause and be done so I can stop worrying. I've lost 3 ducks to egg related health issues, despite veterinary care, over the years. Both my remaining ducks have slowed down as the years have passed, the egg season is shorter. It's the most dramatic for my khaki, she used to make an egg daily year around! The slowing down must mean the end of eggs is coming, right?

@Miss Lydia has older ducks, maybe she knows.

Well I have 4 Muscovy age 14 ,11,10 My 14yr old hasn't laid since she was 9-10 then I now have one Muscovy laying and one broody because she laid and I took her egg but she still laid it so that means she can go broody. lol And the daughter to the one broody[10] has laid a few so far. I was hoping these girls were done too it's very worrying when they are older and still laying. To me exercise is the best thing to keep these girls muscles in good working order and hopefully have less laying troubles. Most of my Runners and Buffs are 6 yrs old and after not laying since last October just started back last week even my 3 yr olds just started back a few weeks earlier than the 6yr olds. I was beginning to think they were done laying for good. Actually, It's okay if they don't ever lay again. I know what you mean it's concerning when they are getting up in years and still laying.

@Miss Lydia @KaleIAm thank you both for your thoughts! Sounds like ducks are pretty steadfast layers! Still no real eggs this year other than the strange mostly shell egg. Sounds like we are in similar positions where we sort of wished they would stop laying!! I have a Blue Swedish and a Chocolate Indian Runner. It was the runner having issues last year and who I believe laid the strange egg yesterday. They were both laying this time last year I believe. So I guess we just keep watching and hoping!!

Are you offering Oyster shell? Mine eat it like candy but if one acts like she’s having difficulty I give her a 1 ml dose of Calcium gluconate it stimulates the muscles to get an egg out. It can also work to harden up an egg shell too

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom