Those who have built incubators?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mochicken, Dec 11, 2011.

1. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    My uncle gave me some foam incubators today to use for incubation and hatchers, he also knew I was interested in building an incubator. He gave me this assembly that he had put together when he wanted to build one, there are 2 heating elements, a thermostat, and a fan. Its already wired up with exception of a power cord which obviously I can do.

I planned to build a wood incubator or possibly one with an old mini fridge, is this setup adequate for such a job?

[​IMG]

2. Griffin Nest

Griffin Nest Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    California
  3. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Depending on how big it is, that heating element may not cut it. That came out of those little styrofoam crapboxes, not alot of space to heat up.

4. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Yeah I will consider the thermostat thing, as well as the heating element.

I was considering a 250 watt heating element that incubator warehouse sells that has a heating element, fan, and digital controller for 95 bucks. I might just sell some of the stuff I have laying around for incubators and buy that or maybe I will make a medium cooler incubator as a backup incubator or one to hatch larger eggs.

5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:I agree and also the fact that the water heater thermostat will just succeed in giving you fit's and kill many an egg, due to some very wide temp swings and refresh cycle rate. Those elements work Ok in the styrobators but to put them in a real bator should be reconsidered.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by