Those who have built live traps, please explain :)

Tala

Flock Mistress
10 Years
Apr 14, 2009
Benton (Saline County) AR
Those of you who have built your own live traps, could you please explain them? Directions?
Mainly I'm interested in what materials you used and how it works together.
I think I'm gonna have to re-engineer the trip plate and trap door on my dog trap. I want to move the trip plate further into the trap (so the dog is ALL the way inside when his front paws hit it) which seems easy enough, and I need the door to snap down tighter/faster and be less-prone to being pushed open from the inside. Need help/ideas for the door part. Basically the one that came on it is too "flexible" --- my raccoon traps have a solid metal door that is pretty darn sturdy, but this one came with a door made of essentially hardware cloth type wire and it sucks!

Last edited:
I know what you want to do and could do it myself, but to tell you how to do it is something else. The place you want to look for the strsight answer is trapperman.com These guts do this everyday, so I know you will get the best advice possible.

I have found it is easier to build on that slides straight down so when the animal pushes against it the door is between a "railing?" system...like a window...

I am with panner...I don't think I can explain it...

Last edited:
right! I have used to catch hogs and other critters....caught a deer once...that didn't go good...it did not like being caught and I think it liked being loose less...it was lucky I am a law abiding guy cuz I feared for my life

forgot...my grandpa taught me to make those rabbit traps..I upgraded for pigs...it takes lots of upgrade

Last edited:
Now if those dogs are after your chickens, I have a much easier way of dealing with them. Just call on two good freinds, Mr Smith & Mr. Wesson. Then SS because you have already used the first S.

Quote:
Yes that is the problem. However, my chickens live about 4 miles from me, so I can't exactly go running out with the shotgun when the dogs visit....If it weren't windchill of about 0*F I might consider camping out till I caught them, but such is life right now. I'm trying the same method on dogs as I use for raccoons. So far I did catch one smaller dog that is not a chicken killer
tongue.png

I used to catch the neighbors' cats when i was a kid....they don't appreciate being let out of a trap anymore than deer do...good thing my mom wouldn't let me play with guns in town cuz i feared for my life...

I have a couple of these larger sized duke traps that I like pretty well. Of course they are not cheap and shipping is even more of an ouch but unless you have a welder and are pretty good at that type of stuff it's probably easier to go ahead and buy a good live trap. I know there are a lot of cheap china ones on the market right now but IMO they are pretty much worthless. Even though the Dukes are made in korea they are a pretty well made trap.

http://www.fntpost.com/Products/Cage+Traps/Duke+Heavy+Duty+Series+Cage+Traps

This place has them on sale.
http://thuleracks.molnaroutdoor.com...Live_Traps::Duke&category=Live%5FTraps : Duke

Last edited:
I built this a couple years back to catch critters stealing apples from my orchard. It is big enough for fox. It has caught cats, fox, raccoon, possum and squirrels.
If the pics aren't clear enough I can explain the trip mechanism.

76677_imgp0557.jpg

76677_imgp0585.jpg

76677_imgp0638.jpg

76677_imgp0676.jpg

76677_imgp0680.jpg

76677_imgp0686.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom