Thot HE was a female:(:(

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by fradytrc, Jul 23, 2011.

1. fradytrc

fradytrc Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2011
    Central NC
    Well yesterday my 23 chickens were running around my backyard and I started hearing a cockadoodledoo....Lo and behold it was my favorite "hen"...NOT....right after that He (whose name has been changed from Elvira to Elvis) began demanding one of my hens to be a hen if you know what I mean. She was completely traumatized. I found her behind the water bowl with her head on the ground acting paralyzed. Is this normal? I got her out and loved her up a little and then she began acting more normal. The thing that threw me off with this newly found rooster was the comb. I would like to know what breed he is...He was a solid black chick. As he grew he developed red feathers but continues to have black feet. I always thought his tail feathers were very flashy but his comb absolutely looks like a candle that has melted. He has always been very independent and stays to himself a lot. He is also quite small beside of my other roosters. I have to say it is upsetting that she is a he because I already had 9 roosters and deciding which ones to keep has been a chore.(I love almost all of them.) Help and comments would be appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    My favorites always turn out to be boys too. It would really help with breed ID if you would post some pictures. Just wanted to let you know that I feel your pain, this is the year of the rooster- at least at my house.

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I'm so sorry.[​IMG] It happens all the time. Post a picture of your chicken and then it's easier to identify.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by