Thought hen was molting, now won’t come out of nesting box!!! HELP needed

EandEchickens

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 7, 2014
One of our hens was losing TONS of feathers, got on here today, reading about molting, apparently it can be a hard molt... I felt better about her, but went to lock them up tonight, and she wasn’t roosting with the others. She was alone in a nesting box. Her noise sounded a little distressed to me as well. Clueless if there’s anything else I should be looking out for or doing! I feel so bad for her. And advice welcome!! Thank you

Does she growl or peck at you if you reach over to grab her?
Can you feel her crop, what does it feel like?
Also feel her abdomen for a stuck egg.
What are you feeding?

I need to feel her abdomen. I didn’t try to touch her or pick her up all day, cause all I’d read on molting, was that it hurts. So I don’t want to mess with her. My husband is the chicken farmer, but won’t be home for awhile. He’s been gone all day. They free range all day, eat a feed we get a tractor supply(husband buys it), plus some scratch now and then.

I don’t think so...
Tomorrow, Check her abdomen, crop etc and check for lice or mites. Knowing more about her symptoms will help you treat her better.

Molt is hard on them. Especially if it’s her first. And yes unless your hen is very tame and trusts you completely it’s best to not handle them during molt. Be careful with her. She could be sleeping in the box because she’s uncomfortable. Meaning all she knows is that it hurts.
You could close off the boxes before dusk and open them first thing in the morning.
Watch that she eats and drinks. Since it’s clear from the loss of feathers that she is molting. Just keep a eye on her. That’s what I would do if she were mine. Best wishes

Thank you all so much for your input. It’s eased my mind a bit. I’m in Alabama, so it’s not cold to most people, but it’s been really warm till last night when a cold front came through. Dropped about 30 degrees. Maybe she’s just cold. I really appreciate all those that took time to respond.

Back
Top Bottom