Thought I had layers, but not sure now

tsch3830

Hatching
Jun 15, 2016
Novice here.

New to raising chickens and wanted to get some for egg production. We bought 6 "production layers" from tractor supply about 10-11 weeks ago. They were little yellow walking tennis balls. They grew rather quickly and now are really big. They are white with red beards similar to leghorns, but are really big and fat. A friend was at my house yesterday said they look more like broilers than his layers, although he does not have any chickens of this color. He is 1 years into it and was not 100% sure he was correct. Can anyone tell me if it is normal for layer chickens to get "really big"? How can I tell if we were sold meat chickens instead of layers?

welcome-byc.gif
"Really big and fat" sounds like Cornish X meat birds. TSC here has been known to mess up identification on their birds. Meat birds tend to be rather inactive, eating, pooping machines.

Thanks sourland! I would say our birds are eating and pooping machines. They do lay around an awful lot also, not super active all the time. I was told by the same person his chickens never lay around. Now to tell our 3 kids....egad.

Maybe you could post some pictures. If by beard you mean wattles, it does sound like you have Cornish X. That really stinks if that is what you got when you wanted layers.

If they are Cornish X they need to be butchered soon. Most will have a lot of health problems as they aren't breed to live past 12 weeks.

Last edited:
Thank you lomine. I sent some pictures to a veteran chicken raising friend of mine and he confirmed they are layers. We are set to harvest them next week. Just ordered from a hatchery some other layers. Asked my friends advise where to order from this time.

Back
Top Bottom