Thought I Lost A Hen... But, No!

I've got a pen set up for her but she's violent and very good at it. She's removed divots of flesh for just getting close enough to get a peek. Is during daylight better than after dark?
I only do it in the daylight. Wear a jacket and gloves. Catch her first and then go back for the poults and eggs.

This is all her; beak, wings and feet. She's only 9 months old but is somehow an advanced black belt. She smacked me with a wing and it felt like a whack with a broomstick. All respect for her instincts.
IMG_20231227_210804212.jpg
IMG_20231227_210745583.jpg
IMG_20231227_210754317.jpg

So I gathered up the eggs and poults as easy as picking up fallen apples and she followed me to her new pen. I put everything into the new nest and she promptly rolled the eggs out and settled into her five little poults. The eggs are percolating in the incubator right now, one has hatched and another is making noise.
You are so lucky. Mine are evil things if I look at the poults 10 ft away.

You are so lucky. Mine are evil things if I look at the poults 10 ft away.
Mine have been through this so many times that they stand back and watch as I steal the poults.

Years ago I had a guinea hen that insisted on laying her eggs in a turkey hen's nest. I drew back a bloody arm every time I removed the guinea egg from the nest.

Back
Top Bottom