Thought I lost a hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Airilith, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Airilith

Airilith Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Well I went over this afternoon to spend a little time with my flock, as I won't be around tomorrow or Friday. When I got to the coop I realized that some of the girls had managed to fly the fence, which happens fairly often with the smaller, lighter pullets. No biggy. I had a bag of rice and everyone I could see came running. Five minutes later I had them back in the run. I sat on a bucket and talked to them all, petted my friendlier birds. You know the normal chicken time activities. And then I started doing my nightly headcount. I was missing a barred rock. I counted 3 more times, stuck my head in the coop, counted a few more times. Still 1 short.

I took a deep breath. She must have flown the fence too. So I grabbed a bag of treats and started calling for her. I walked around and around, no chicken. I went way farther than I've ever seen them from the coop. No luck. Called the DBF to tell him I'd be late, and that I mught have to swing by the coop after dinner to see if she'd come back yet. I was slowly starting to freak out. If she was out there somewhere and didn't show up tonight, there'd be no one to let her back in tomorrow or Friday.

So I went back in the coop and finished my nightly chores. At this point the sun had gone down enough for me to need a flashlight to do yet another headcount. I came up one short again ... until I saw something behind a nestbox that no one ever uses. And there was my missing barred rock!!!!!! I was estatic [​IMG]

I picked her up and checked her over. She was sitting on two eggs, but I didn't think anything of it. I put her down and she ran over to get a bite to eat. I collected the eggs and started for the door. And she started screaming. She was back near the nest box freaking out. The darn girl has gone broody on me. I waited a few minutes thinking she'd calm down. I was wrong. She kept screaming and searching (it was pathetic). But that preceded to set off the roosters, who set off the rest of the hens. I gave in. I gave her two eggs from yesterday that were cold, cold, cold. I'll let her play mama until I get back this weekend. Haha! She's happy and I'm happy.

I just had to share because I know y'all understand what I went through this evening [​IMG]

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

2. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    I'm so glad you found her safe & sound! [​IMG]

3. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

The relief when you find them is priceless.

I hate when the whole coop gangs up against you [​IMG]

4. LeghornLisa

LeghornLisa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    So glad it ended well. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your peeps!!

5. Airilith

Airilith Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Thanks Pam, HorseFeatherz, and Lisa! And HorseFeatherz you are so right. There is nothing better than that feeling of relief when you find a missing bird.

6. pawprint2104

pawprint2104 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2010
    SF Bay Area
    So glad you found her. Not very grateful, though, was she?!

I haven't had a broody hen, yet. It's hilarious reading about her broody behavior.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by