Thought I was getting Black Copper Marans...but....

So my friend is breeding Black Copper Marans. I got some eggs and they hatched. Just not sure if they ARE Black Copper Marans or if hen was having an affair with someone else, lol. Two came out solid black (with some copper on back of neck....need to go learn chicken anatomy, sorry) but both have one white feather comin out on one side of them. Two of them came out grey with no feathers on their feet, a friend told me they could be Blue Marans....but I thought I'd come to the experts to ask as I've never had Black Copper Marans. I'll try to get pics and then I'll TRY to load them, I'm much better at raising chickens then takin and loadin pictures ya'll :he. Any possible ideas on whether any of these chicks could be Black Copper Marans?

I need to see photos to comment on those BCM chicks .

marans chicks have a distinctive body type ,so if you think your chicks are or are not marans the photos will tell us .

they can have clean shanks some times - it is a throw back of the recessive gene .

Black copper chick has to be black NO other color .

I ll wait to see photos

chooks man

View attachment 1097373 This is how my FBCM looked as chicks

your Black copper chick has a great body type but too much of a parasitic White .
he look cockerel to me and I like the way he stand

love to see some more photos of him/her .

BCM chicks should be black with a white just on the bottom part of they body , tip on they wing and chest area ..
better if they have a pure black face NO white at all

chooks man

IMG_9495.JPG IMG_9489.JPG
The first picture shows the "grey" chick, no feathers on feet. The pictures of the black chick are all the same chick. Showing both sides have a white feather and the feathers on feet and a frontal view. Was told all were Black Copper Marans. They are all 2 months old.
IMG_9495.JPG
IMG_9489.JPG
IMG_9482.JPG
IMG_9490.JPG
IMG_9492.JPG
I think I'm going to try to load up some pictures of other chicks I have that I'm not sure they are what I thought I paid for.

View attachment 1097674 View attachment 1097677
The first picture shows the "grey" chick, no feathers on feet. The pictures of the black chick are all the same chick. Showing both sides have a white feather and the feathers on feet and a frontal view. Was told all were Black Copper Marans. They are all 2 months old. View attachment 1097674 View attachment 1097677 View attachment 1097678 View attachment 1097680 View attachment 1097681 I think I'm going to try to load up some pictures of other chicks I have that I'm not sure they are what I thought I paid for.

the Black one is 100% BCM .he has all the marans traits .

the Blue one not enough photos of him to tell ; his head is marans for sure .I can see some copper showing up on the bottom part of his hackle . his feet are well colored ( no yellow neither black or white )

try to take photos of them when they are calm and standing up right . so we can see they body type shape . should be long and chunky like a brick ( rectangular shape )

chooks man

the Black one is 100% BCM .he has all the marans traits .

the Blue one not enough photos of him to tell ; his head is marans for sure .I can see some copper showing up on the bottom part of his hackle . his feet are well colored ( no yellow neither black or white )

try to take photos of them when they are calm and standing up right . so we can see they body type shape . should be long and chunky like a brick ( rectangular shape )

chooks man
LOL, trying to get these guys to "stand still" and be calm is funny. I have never had chicks like these (they were raised by a Silkie). I had to get my young friend to hold them so I could get pictures of them still. Will do my best to try to get pics of them standing on ground. Thrilled the black ones are BCM. Didn't know the color on this one was "blue" so thats a surprise. I love learning! Thanks @Chooks man :celebrate

View attachment 1097674 View attachment 1097677
The first picture shows the "grey" chick, no feathers on feet. The pictures of the black chick are all the same chick. Showing both sides have a white feather and the feathers on feet and a frontal view. Was told all were Black Copper Marans. They are all 2 months old. View attachment 1097674 View attachment 1097677 View attachment 1097678 View attachment 1097680 View attachment 1097681 I think I'm going to try to load up some pictures of other chicks I have that I'm not sure they are what I thought I paid for.

here what I see on your BCM cockerel =
type .look chunky to me but very hard to see his back and his carriage .
head great .strong and thick
eyes well colored for that age
neck strong and arched
feet

here what I see on your BCM cockerel =
type .look chunky to me but very hard to see his back and his carriage .
head great .strong and thick
eyes well colored for that age
neck strong and arched
feet
I'm so glad I have a cockerel. I think I have two of those and one pullet, all black and both cockerels look the same, white feather on each side and feathered feet. The pullet does not have any white feathers on her, just solid black. It's the two "blues" that stumped me, I was thinking they couldn't be BCM because of the color and no feathers on feet. So again, I'm learning. But soooo happy to have at least one male and one female. Will continue to get better pictures and get pictures of everybody. I didn't see any point in getting everybodies pictures if you told me right off they couldn't be BCM and were probably mixes. Happy dance goin on over here :wee:bun

Back
Top Bottom