Thought I'd never have to ask this, but...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jossanne, Feb 11, 2012.

1. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I'm going crazy here. I got this bird at the county fair in September, as a young, very ugly frizzle "pullet". Its comb was much smaller than the others there that were obviously roos, so I decided it must be a girl. Now, though, it is totally not what I'm thinking a pullet should look like. I don't know its exact age, but I think it hatched last summer sometime... maybe June. I'm sure it's from a hatchery, as no one around here has breeder birds, but it looks very different than the frizzled cochin hen I got from Ideal hatchery.

I've never seen it crow, never seen it mount a hen, never seen a roo mount it, and when I go out with snacks for everyone my known roosters act like roos: they get pieces and offer them to the girls. This one gets food and runs to eat it.

Anyway, I can't catch it by myself as it is very shy, and could hardly get close enough to get a picture, so forgive the quality of these. Is this a roo? I'm really beginning to think so, especially now that I've got pics uploaded.

[​IMG][​IMG]

And here it is with my little black hen who I know is a hen. I think she's actually a frazzle who has just come out of her molt. She lives most of her life naked and red.
    [​IMG]

2. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Yes, that a roo.

3. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Chillin' With My Peeps

Those feathers in saddle area sure look like saddle feathers to me... but I am NO expert.

That is one very suspect "hen"

4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    yes its a cockerel

5. broodybantam

broodybantam Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2012
    100% rooster

6. Disco Hen

Disco Hen Chillin' With My Peeps