Thought it was a stuck egg . . . what was it?

Chicknlady

Hatching
11 Years
Mar 27, 2008
Pennsylvania
A few days ago I noticed my Rhode Island Red acting lethargic, was the same yesterday, and today was really bad, hardly even standing, eyes mostly shut. I checked her, and her bottom was all swelled out, and I looked here and thought maybe she had an egg stuck. So I brought her inside, cleaned her up in the sink, and did the vaseline-thing to see if I could feel and egg. I went in as far as my finger could go, no egg. Felt around, nothing.

She was in bad shape. So I took care of her humanely, there was nothing to be done. I autopsied her, and she was FULL of yellow, clear fluid. There was an egg in her, regular-egg sized, but it had nothing close to a hardened shell. It was all squashed and lobed, and HARD. The yolk was like a hard-boiled egg! Solid!

Does anyone have any idea what happened? Could it have gotten stuck way back in before it ever really developed and caused the fluid to collect? I really just want to rule out a disease that might affect the other birds!

most likely an internal layer that developed EYP (Egg Yolk Peritonitis) that went septic.

if you want more info about EYP/internal laying..dlhunicorn has an excellent article at her web site.

very sorry for the loss of your hen.

Back
Top Bottom