Thought it was a stuck egg . . . what was it?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicknlady, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Chicknlady

Chicknlady New Egg

Mar 27, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    A few days ago I noticed my Rhode Island Red acting lethargic, was the same yesterday, and today was really bad, hardly even standing, eyes mostly shut. I checked her, and her bottom was all swelled out, and I looked here and thought maybe she had an egg stuck. So I brought her inside, cleaned her up in the sink, and did the vaseline-thing to see if I could feel and egg. I went in as far as my finger could go, no egg. Felt around, nothing.

She was in bad shape. So I took care of her humanely, there was nothing to be done. I autopsied her, and she was FULL of yellow, clear fluid. There was an egg in her, regular-egg sized, but it had nothing close to a hardened shell. It was all squashed and lobed, and HARD. The yolk was like a hard-boiled egg! Solid!

Does anyone have any idea what happened? Could it have gotten stuck way back in before it ever really developed and caused the fluid to collect? I really just want to rule out a disease that might affect the other birds!

2. mommy9994

mommy9994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    central VA
    I don't think it sounds like a disease, but more of a reproductive problem. Maybe she was laying internally?

3. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    most likely an internal layer that developed EYP (Egg Yolk Peritonitis) that went septic.

if you want more info about EYP/internal laying..dlhunicorn has an excellent article at her web site.

very sorry for the loss of your hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by