Thought she was pasted up, guess not, anyone know what this is?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by G-Girls, Oct 13, 2008.

1. G-Girls

G-Girls New Egg

May 16, 2008
    The Colony, TX
    I received 3 baby chicks last week. I've been checking them everyday to make sure they're not pasting up. The BPR had a little bit of dried poo on her but it was far from her vent. I couldn't get it off so I left it thinking it would drop off. Last night when I checked her again it was still there, and she was pasted up. So, I got a Q-tip and softened it with warm water until it came off. The bigger piece further down started to loosen up. So, I got it to come off and this is what was there: any idea what this is and what caused it? Thanks

[​IMG]

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Looks to me like it could be part of her yolk sac that had dried up and hadn't fallen off yet. Not sure though...hope with this bump someone will be able to tell you for sure.

3. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    I don't see a pic...but if it is the sac, I wouldn't mess with it.

4. G-Girls

G-Girls New Egg

May 16, 2008
    The Colony, TX
    I was wondering about that. It reminded me of a belly button on a baby after it had been cut and dried up. I checked her at lunch and it seems much better. I was worried the other two would peck at it, but it doesn't seem like they have. Should I put anything on it? Like Neosporin? (If you copy and paste this link you can see the picture:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/?deleted=2939220684

Thanks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by