thoughts about polish

Indifferent... they didn't do well free ranging and they all got pecked on by the ones who could see... they eventually got eaten by hawks... not too good for farm bird, but probably make good pets as they are neat lookers.

I've had a wide range of experience with them. Two have been very sweet, like being held, ect, one of which couldn't see well and would get picked on by the other birds. Then I had two others who were very dominant and sometimes aggressive towards the other birds. We had to give one polish hen away because she acted like an angry rooster and would try to kill all the new birds we put in with her. But I still LOVE my two sweet ones.

I like my polish - but the above are true they are not known to ever go broody - most because of limited vision aren't friendly birds --i have a golden that is the exception extremely - she is very friendly - and a buff roo that is friendly the rest are not happy with contact --Except for the Yard factor they aren't a popular choice --

I like my Polish. She does not like to be held but she does not struggle if you do pick her up. I agree with silkiechicken, they are not great farm birds. They are prime targets for hawks and other predators but if you keep them enclosed in a secure run or if you live in the city where the predators are less likely to show up I think you should definitely get some.

Here is Dolly

Dolly01.jpg

Polish and showgirls are all I have here. I like them, they are easy to catch(can't see well), funny and comical birds. Not much good for laying as they quit in November and don't start again until March. But that's okay with me, because it is so cold that the eggs freeze anyway.

Most of mine don't mind being held and having their top knots stroked.

I have a Dolly, too, who looks just like herechickchick's Dolly. I love her to death. She is such a sweety. I have to keep her top knot trimmed, otherwise she runs around like a ghost is chasing her!
lol.png
She's a total lap chicken and loves to be carried around and loved on.

My Polish are sweet and have great personality. My buff laced pullet loves me right back, she jumps on my arm and rides around like a queen. The rooster is very nice and does his job well, he can see just fine and is excellent at alerting all the girls when there is something wrong. He shares his food and isn't over the top when it comes to breeding the girls, if they tell him no, he leaves them alone. He does crow a lot in the morning and he will crow when he sees us in the windows or if we step outside.

I haven't had any eggs from them yet and they are coming up on 24 weeks old, but one is squatting when I pick her up..so maybe soon.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom