1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Thoughts? advice?

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by boskelli1571, Sep 10, 2014.

1. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Evening all,
    I need some outside input on this please. Desdemona one of my Delawares' appears to be dying. She has always been very stand-offish with me, not wanting to be picked up, touched etc. Today she was sitting in the barnyard with wings outstretched, hunkered down. She allowed me to pick her up and check her over carefully. No evidence of mites/lice. Crop appears normal/small, abdomen is not swollen/puffy or boggy, she seems very skinny with a prominent breastbone. She and the rest of the girls seem to be going through a light molt currently. She eats ok as long as it's in front of her, haven't seen her drinking as yet. She is 3 years old. Is there something I'm missing or is it simply 'old age'?? Any thoughts/ advice would be welcome. Thanks, Sue

2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Because you say she is very thin, when was the last time they were wormed?

3. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    I have never wormed any of the birds. Poop checks have been negative when tested - but it's a good thought I will get her tested. Thanks, Sue

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by