Thoughts for a winter waterer, advice please, pics

Sophie Mae

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 30, 2010
Marion, Ohio
I was thinking about using this. It is a metal drawer form and old fridge. I thought I would put rubber around the out side with adhesive, raise it up on cinder blocks with a heat lamp underneath it. The rubber should keep the bulbs from getting wet. It will be light enough to dump and easy to fill. Any advice? Suggestions?

66746_004.jpg

I plan on using this for the chick water but the ducks jumped in for a swim!

You could put it out during the day and bring it in at night.
If that's not an option, you can use a heating pad. A heat lamp will just break if 1 drop of water hits it. Also heat lamps are the biggest cause of fires. Yo don't want to electrocute your chickens either.

Remember, water and electricity don't mix. Especially when animals are involved.

I find it easier to fill the chicken waters each a.m. and then empty and bring in each p.m.

For some of my ducks and geese I give them a heated water trough. Use a submersible heater commonly used for livestock....

And I use warm water in the small pans I set out next to duck's feed each a.m.

It depends on how cold it gets--below zero and it'll freeze regardless. Good luck too in keeping the ducks out of it.

BTW, I'd be interested to know where these people that bring out water in the morning/take it in at night live. In this area in January at high noon if I toss water on the ground it freezes before it hits on those 20 below days. By the time I toted the water from the house to the coop it would be frozen.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom