Thoughts on converting a corner of this shed.

Check out @3KillerBs article about ventilation.

From this thread and your other, I get the sense that you may be thinking of imperfect seals in your shed as ventilation substitutes. But air coming in any old where is not the same as targeted intentional ventilation. I hope that makes sense. Being made of metal you need to up the ventilation over what a wooden coop needs.

As for size, 5x5 might work in the strictest sense for 4 hens, but it won't offer you just-in-case for chicken math. It will be awkward to work inside of. It looks like you have much more space than that to work with.
"Bigger is always better". Seriously, I have never heard of anyone complaining their coop is too big. But we all wish for bigger... and still bigger...

I don't see why you are poopooing your shed. It looks structurally sound and useful.
Pictures abound of beautiful coops, but they are taken before it's been in service long, if at all.
"No plan survives contact with the enemy poo".

Check out @3KillerBs article about ventilation.

From this thread and your other, I get the sense that you may be thinking of imperfect seals in your shed as ventilation substitutes. But air coming in any old where is not the same as targeted intentional ventilation. I hope that makes sense. Being made of metal you need to up the ventilation over what a wooden coop needs.

As for size, 5x5 might work in the strictest sense for 4 hens, but it won't offer you just-in-case for chicken math. It will be awkward to work inside of. It looks like you have much more space than that to work with.
"Bigger is always better". Seriously, I have never heard of anyone complaining their coop is too big. But we all wish for bigger... and still bigger...

I don't see why you are poopooing your shed. It looks structurally sound and useful.
Pictures abound of beautiful coops, but they are taken before it's been in service long, if at all.
"No plan survives contact with the enemy poo".

Thank you. We may go a bit bigger, 5x5 was my thought but we'll really attach the walls where the rafters are so may be more like 6 or 7. We'll see.

As for ventilation, I do get it, which is why I asked the last question. How many vents up at the roofline do I need? Its 25 feet long. Grates are 16". I would hope to not do one every opening... more like every other... but if necessary I guess I could do all the way across.

I have a 6x8x6 coop and and 6x8x6 run. Im doing a sloped roof 6 inches on front, with windows on 3 sides of the coop at the top. And I hope that'll be all the venitlation they need. I hear alot that we generally underestimate our ventilation. Im much happier with my coop temp after slooping my roof today which makes much more air flow.

I guess its a trial and error thing depending on climate etc.

my dog (german shepherd) ate tin and got out of the shed. you have to protect all corners of your shed so that big animals cannot enter. it looks as if a bear could tear off tin at the corners.
Bear proofing, mmm. ven my t1-11 4x4 2x4 building would be hard put to deter a seriously minded bear. But anything smaller i don't expect to win. But i agree we have to be proactive to avoid loses.

As for ventilation, I do get it, which is why I asked the last question. How many vents up at the roofline do I need? Its 25 feet long. Grates are 16". I would hope to not do one every opening... more like every other... but if necessary I guess I could do all the way across.

It's really about the way the air moves. If you keep in mind that hot air rises, and you need replacement cool air to keep the flow going... Then you need ventilation at your highest point and equal ventilation at a lower point.

The grates you want to use, I don't know how much limiting factor there is from the louvered design. There will be some flow restriction, it's not the same as open ventilation, so more may be needed.
You are measuring in inches what is usually measured in feet, so that gets a little confusing.

Back
Top Bottom