Thoughts On Dry Incubation??

Rbl4life

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 30, 2011
I have read on here that some people like to add no water for the first 18 days, than bring the humidity up to about 65 for hatching. Any thoughts??

nice! so what would you say is a good humidity level for days 1-18? and i am almost 2 weeks into incubation, and have had them at about 55 percent. if i lowered it now would it still be better than continuing high?

Yep... I just don't add water... I live in MS though... Pretty humid here... If you live in a desert, I think some people put like a tablespoon of water per week... So depends... Me none... And day 18 up it to roughly 60..
big_smile.png

I just have homemade incubators made from styrofoam chests. they have a fan in them, and i had to put holes in it, so that will bring in enough?

In canada, right? I just looked up your humidity, and I also see it is raining there...

It says it is roughly 99% outside.. You should be fine...
big_smile.png

When I stopped adding water to my incubator for the first 18 days my hatches improved by leaps and bounds.
My hygrometer is reading between 25-30% in the bator and it's 45-50% in the room.
I just candled my eggs after one week and the air cells are right where it should be on day 7.
I don't get hung up on the humidity measurements any more, candling is the most accurate measurement of how well the eggs are drying down for me.
Weighing the eggs would even be more accurate but I ain't weighing 42 eggs
wink.png

I have a Hovabator 1588 by the way.
smile.png

Carolyn

Back
Top Bottom