Thoughts on dust bath

hlhutchinson

Songster
5 Years
Aug 26, 2015
Casper Wyo
I originally had a tub that was big enough for two chickens at a time to have a dust bath that was in the run. They never used it, so I changed part of the run so that under the coop they could have a dust bath thinking the tub was to small
IMG_8461.JPG

I was using sand (read about other just using sand for dust bath and that worked) I don't think mine like sand.
They like to use buckets that we use for tomatoes at first I was thinking well the size of my tub was not the problem so it must be they want dirt
IMG_8459.JPG

They have one other spot they like in the yard
IMG_8312.JPG

I see them in the buckets more often. So the question for winter time. the yard will be covered in snow (we live in Wyo) so do I dump the dirt under the coop? Or just bring the buckets into the run?
So far our run has stayed dry even with some really good rain storms. The location is under a pine tree, then a privacy fence in the back and a shed to one side, so snow will be minimal it will just be more blowing snow that will get in the run. I was planning on putting a tarp around so that the snow will not blow in.
What do you think will be best and what they will use?
IMG_8462.JPG

Mine like really dry dirt, usually containing dry donkey poop. Mine also like gravel. So add some dry light stuff to your area. Peat moss is good, some use a bit of wood ash too.

so do I dump the dirt under the coop?
So far our run has stayed dry even with some really good rain storms. The location is under a pine tree, then a privacy fence in the back and a shed to one side, so snow will be minimal it will just be more blowing snow that will get in the run. I was planning on putting a tarp around so that the snow will not blow in.
What do you think will be best and what they will use?
Yes. Good thinking.
I think that will work well. Might also reserve some nice dry dirt from their fav spot in a bucket somewhere dry just in case the dusting spot in the run freezes.
I have a similar situation. Some years the dirt in the 'under run' stays dry enough not to freeze or it doesn't get that cold, some years it freezes. I have a bin about 12 x 18 x 10" deep that I put that reserved dry dirt into inside the coop, they only use it if the under run freezes solid.

Back
Top Bottom