Thoughts on introducing more hens

kodi1234

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 7, 2014
I have two rhode Island red hens that are about five months old. I had a few concerns upon purchasing them as chicks. I was worried about them jumping the fence into the neighbors yard, the amount of droppings in the yard/ on the patio, and them destroying our gardens. So far everything has been great, and I haven't had even one of those problems! No eggs yet but my hens just started squatting so hopefully I'll have some soon. Anyway I really would like to get one or two more chicks of a different breed. I would like only one more so my plan right now is to get 3 chicks, and when they are the right age begin to put them with my hens. When they are comfortable together I will keep the chick that does the best with the hens and give the two others to a friend that recently lost her two chickens. I am also considering just getting two chicks and if it proves to be too many I can give them to the friend that lost her hens. I understand that the chicks must be older to mix in with the hens and that it can be a bit difficult. I have also seen my hens recently act agressive towards my roommates cat if she approaches them, and I've seen the hens chase birds out of the yard. What are your thoughts? What's up with the hen's defensive behavior? What would be the best way to introduce more hens with my girls?

I would try to raise them sepreatly but where theycan see each other and then when they are about 4 months old inturduce them were they can interact they will fight some but not as much as they would if you just threw them out there with them not knowing each other but they will get used to each other.

Back
Top Bottom