Thoughts on medicated feed?

ErikaRI

Chirping
May 20, 2017
Hi,
What are thoughts on medicated chick feed? The woman we just got our chicks from recommended it for 2 months, but our local urban chicken supply store says they don't sell it.
We have 4 chicks, and they're 2 weeks old and have been vaccinated.

Medicated feed fights against coccidiosis. Which is common in young chickens. I would just get the medicated feed. It's the same price. Most vaccinations are to prevent mareks disease. Not coccidiosis. So I would get the medicated feed. Or if you don't have it where you are, you can get non medicated, I think it would be fine.

They've been vaccinated for Marek's. I guess I'm wondering whether the concern (from the local place) is because of antibiotic resistance, or there's some other reason they wouldn't sell the medicated stuff...

I feed non-medicated and haven't had a problem. It's a preventative, but not required. It's helpful if you have a large number of chickens, or can't keep their area good and clean. Gradual exposure to their new environment will allow them to have limited contact with any spores in your soil and build a resistance. Just watch for abnormal, and especially bloody, droppings. Change their bedding regularly and make sure they've got fresh clean water and feed. You'll probably be fine.

Some people prefer not to feed medicated feed, while others choose to go with it. Its completely up to you. The purpose of medicated feed is to help chicks build a resistant to cocci. People who prefer to go organic choose unmedicated. My flock is not organic or anything like that but I prefer to feed unmedicated feed because I haven't had any issues with cocci at all since raising chickens and plus, the medicated always seemed to me to be rough on little bellies. Always used to make my chicks have runny poop. We all have our different preferences on how to care for our birds.

Feed with amprolium added is meant to help chicks manage coccidia in their environment. It is NOT an antibiotic, and is approved for use in organic flocks. Some of us do fine without feeding it, and others have problems with chicks dying of coccidiosis. Your birds may have no problems with non-medicated feed, depending on the soil where they live. Mary

Thank you—this was just the info I was looking for! Of course, I have no idea whether it's an issue here in coastal RI, but This gives me something to work with...
Feed with amprolium added is meant to help chicks manage coccidia in their environment. It is NOT an antibiotic, and is approved for use in organic flocks. Some of us do fine without feeding it, and others have problems with chicks dying of coccidiosis. Your birds may have no problems with non-medicated feed, depending on the soil where they live. Mary

I've never used medicated feed, never had issue with coccidiosis. My chicks get exposure to my soil, thus exposure to local cocci during their first 2 weeks of life, which is the best window of opportunity to build on the antibodies they get from their mothers. As Amprolium blocks thiamine uptake in the cocci, I find myself wondering if it does the same in the chick. I choose to use caution regarding this, and use soil and fermented feed to build my chick's gut flora so they have a strong immune system.

Back
Top Bottom