Thoughts on modding this prefab

TimonHens

Songster
May 23, 2022
So Finger Lakes NY
The kid is coming home on spring break in a couple of weeks with at least 1 chick if not more. That plus a bullied bantie and limited time/skill had me buying this prefab (steeply reduced.)

Looking for thoughts on adding enough ventilation for the 2 chickens claimed by design. Preliminary unboxing has me satisfied with wood quality for something being kept in an existing run. And it is "cute", but.

Bottom of sidecar is slatted. Door frames are intentionally gappy. Lil window is plexie.
Roof peak is seriously missing opportunity to be a tiny cupola on 2in opening with just a spike to deter perching (ha!) Roof just supposed to lightly drill into main structure.

1679502380874.png

Is this to be a forever home or just something to get you through the next few weeks? I have concerns of integrating a bullied bantam with what ever chick or chickens your kids bring home. But anyway those is not your question.

What does the framing look like at the peak? Could you remove that spike and make it into a cupola? All you need is a hole for air to go up and an umbrella to keep out the rain.

How does that top screw on? Can you use say 1-1/2" thick blocks as shims to screw in to and leave a gap around most of the perimeter. If the 25" and 30" dimensions are what I think they are you should have 2-1/2" overhang all around.

If you don't consider your run predator proof you may want to use 1/2 Hardware cloth to predator proof these openings.

You said it will go into preexisting run.

Is the run, or could the run become predator proof? If so, great.

Does the existing run have a roof of any kind?
I would not quite call it predator proof the way most mean it.
The foxes and the dog are clear which canine belongs on which side of the fencing. Birds care not.

Adding netting/roofing in stages around the edges and cover in non orchard area to deter hawks.
This coop would be low enough to go under a tree even elevated. But raccoons will go for the trees after hours.

And yes, just a 3 season isolation/integration stop gap for semi surprise birds.

Plenty of room in the main coop, but for flock dynamics being what they are. (As long as plenty means no more than half a dozen. Sigh. )

Bottom bantie was first to lay so is being first to molt. Second bantie only started laying this month and still has her looks.

Back
Top Bottom