Thoughts on Pablo joining the gals

The space issue would be my concern. More space the more everyone gets along.

A broody hen is a great deal of fun, and very little work, if she has enough space to work with.

However, there will be a lot of roosters if she broods eggs - one needs a plan for that. I have two coops, an original old coop and small run, and a newer bigger coop and huge run. I use both of them through out the year for meat birds, and as a bachelor pen for extra roosters until they are on the pantry shelf.

The thing is, if you don't think you can butcher a bird, do not hatch out. Just get pullet chicks.

Let us see this boy, and show us your set up, we often have good ideas.

MRs K

I have done some culling, usually in the fall, so no problem. However I wait too long to do so, so all the birds get made into chicken stock; I haven't had to buy any for a while now but the meat is too far gone to really use at that point (3 yrs plus).

I've been thinking for years of building another coop, instead of adding on, though I made structural allowances for an addition. I have a brooder (4 X 4') which sits in the old run. I rehabbed it this year and now have 12 chicks in it, on their way to pullet-hood. I have 19 full-grown hens plus Pablo in a 8X8 coop. The run is huge. I know, it's not enough space in the wintertime but they free-range in all the warmer months (8 months or so). Five nesting boxes, of which maybe two get used, same old story. Anyway, I'll post pics when I get a chance.

How old is Pablo? Is he still a young immature cockerel or a mature rooster? That can have an effect on integration and behaviors. This is mostly out of curiosity.

Long term, not at all unless he is creating a lot of tension in the flock. Mature roosters hardly ever create long term tension. Immature cockerels can. You are often changing the pecking order/dominance when you introduce a new bird. That can create some stress even if it is a hen, especially if she is dominant or wants to be. So there may be some short term effect on egg production.

I don't have any evidence but commercial operations do not add roosters to the flock of laying hens to boost production. If there was a significant bump they probably would.

Yeah, another thread is probably better, details can get comprehensive and from my perspective depends on how much room you have and how things are laid out. As with about everything to do with chickens the more room they have the easier everything is. If you do start a new thread put a link in this one so I can find it.

That makes it a lot harder, whether with a broody hen doing the work or you integrating yourself.
Just found out, Pablo is between two and three years old. The age feels perfect to me. His transition has been seamless, knock wood.

Back
Top Bottom