Thoughts on Purina feeds?

Pics
I have not seen the picky side of chickens. Mine will at least try just about anything. If remotely edible, then they will consume it.
I wish mine weren’t. I give them treats based on what they can have and what others suggest and they snub their nose at a lot things, including feed. They are just little divas but that’s ok I’ll make the snacks work they like and just keep those coming.

Mine usually will eat anything in the morning - it’s when they're most hungry. They get slightly pickier as the day progresses, but will usually end the day with whatever food available to fill their crops before they head to bed.

The fact they turned their noses up at purina after a few pecks yesterday morning is actually pretty concerning to me. I just recalled that they *have* been fed flock raiser before. When they were around 8 weeks old, I had a 5lb bag given to me. There were no issues then.

Mine usually will eat anything in the morning - it’s when they're most hungry. They get slightly pickier as the day progresses, but will usually end the day with whatever food available to fill their crops before they head to bed.

The fact they turned their noses up at purina after a few pecks yesterday morning is actually pretty concerning to me. I just recalled that they *have* been fed flock raiser before. When they were around 8 weeks old, I had a 5lb bag given to me. There were no issues then.
Hmmmm. Wish I had an answer to help you out, it’s frustrating to have to buy bags after bags of feed just to figure it out. I hope you can get it worked out

Hmmmm. Wish I had an answer to help you out, it’s frustrating to have to buy bags after bags of feed just to figure it out. I hope you can get it worked out

Bought a bag of Dumor today and they ate it like I had been starving them for days. I’m going to give the flock raiser to a friend with a bigger flock. We’ll see how his birds like the feed...

I'm still interested with what people are doing with there feed that there chickens refuse to eat. Do you keep it till it's rancid? Do you compost it? Do you give it to someone? Do you try to return it to the store?

Rancid feed should be thrown into the trash, especially if you have dogs that like to get into things they shouldn't. If you have feed that isn't being eaten, I'd mix it with another feed they like. I've done a lot of experimenting with different feeds and have found many they simply don't like - one was locally milled and I really wanted them to like it, LOL, but no. They said no way. :tongue Adding Manna Pro Calf Manna pellets to it, will entice them to eat it all (unless of course they eat all the Manna Pro pellets and leave the actual chicken feed). I usually have Manna Pro because my goats need it but adding any other feed they like to a bag of feed they don't like will do the trick. Sneak it in. When I used to raise pigs, I'd give it to the pigs who have very few dislikes in food. But no rancid food ever given to anyone.

I wish mine weren’t. I give them treats based on what they can have and what others suggest and they snub their nose at a lot things, including feed. They are just little divas but that’s ok I’ll make the snacks work they like and just keep those coming.
Therein lies the problem. Right now they are holding out for the treats they are rightly anticipating will be forthcoming.
If you eliminate everything but a nutritionally complete feed, they will eventually eat it and be healthier in the long run.

Feeding just snacks will lead to many nutritional deficiencies.
Is it advisable to feed children nothing but macaroni & cheese and ice cream? They will love you for it but their health will suffer.

One can feed a diet deficient in fat soluble vitamins for up to 5 months before the effects become apparent. Water soluble vitamin and amino acid deficiencies will appear sooner.
The following list is just about vitamins but mineral and amino acid deficiencies can cause just as severe ailments.
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul...ement-poultry/vitamin-deficiencies-in-poultry

Last edited:
Therein lies the problem. Right now they are holding out for the treats they are rightly anticipating will be forthcoming.
If you eliminate everything but a nutritionally complete feed, they will eventually eat it and be healthier in the long run.

Feeding just snacks will lead to many nutritional deficiencies.
Is it advisable to feed children nothing but macaroni & cheese and ice cream? They will love you for it but their health will suffer.

One can feed a diet deficient in fat soluble vitamins for up to 5 months before the effects become apparent.
The following list is just about vitamins but mineral and amino acid deficiencies can cause just as severe ailments.
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul...ement-poultry/vitamin-deficiencies-in-poultry
Thank you!! Although a diet of ice cream I would be happy with even if it’s not healthy lol

Back
Top Bottom