Thoughts on Purina feeds?

According to the farmer the feed will not degrade due to it being very dry. I have confirmed this with another farmer who also buys 3 barrels at a time from them. I asked, does the food get sour? Rotten? Spoiled? They have both confirmed that it does not As they have both been feeding it to their chickens for over a decade. Which is why I went ahead and bought that much. It is stored in a large metal barrel with a seal

My understanding is that the nutrients begin to degrade as of the mill date and by 6 months are degraded enough to be offering reduced nutrition for the birds.
I don't know if that applies to whole grains in the same way it applies to things like pellets and crumble.

I agree getting the barrel onto a pallet is a good idea.

Yes, very aware. Which is why it is on crates in our Garage. No sunlight even sees the barrel. I have seen the eggs for years that this feed produces. All of their hens are super healthy and the egg yolks speak for themselves. Silly you would think I wouldn’t have looked into ALL of these factors lol
When I lived inland, my garage got over 120+ degrees easily and it didn't have to see sunlight in order to degrade food product being stored in that location more rapidly.

I don't presume anything about anyone.. but I did state that guaranteed analysis at the end of storage is not the same as spoiled or rotten.. so what I share is pertinent to the conversation and for general information purposes to anyone who might view the thread.

It's fantastic that you found something local that works for you! I love local when possible.. it just happens Purina has several mills in California.. But I'm always keeping my eye open for a better product that's still in my price range, especially if supports it my local suppliers/community. I didn't mean anything directed at you specifically though. :)

Well, I've seen some pretty crappy so called farmers who are clueless about animal welfare.. so trust my own eyes over FDA, a government entity that's heavily lobbied.. I can go with that to a degree... And note that labels have a lot of feel good messages (think "cage free"), I prefer truth that's verifiable (personal experience counts even though it may be anecdotal).. I would still like at least an original guaranteed analysis if not being worried about my storage there of. I've done a LOT of nutritional research and very little of my information is FDA related.. usually hatchery/industry (big chicken) or veterinary resourced..

There was no mill date. They've stopped putting mill dates on bags. I went to TS last week and looked for mill dates on several different brands and could find none. I even had the sales clerk look for them. He couldn't find them either.
By law it has to be there, along with a lot # etc. Employees are often under informed, but their feed buyer should have been able to show you.

It is usually printed across the bottom seem, on the bag somewhere, or on the tag.. depending on manufacturer. Which one is it, maybe we can help?

So Nutrena is not Non GMO
Thanks for the update about the parent companies! Nutrena is a brand name and they make many products.. some of them being organic which always means non gmo... a link to their site show's their "Nature SMART" product is organic/non gmo..
https://www.nutrenaworld.com/poultry-feeds

I'm not sure I understand the confusion.. But then I guess that's EXACTLY why they makes so many products, with so many different names, despite being practically the same.. to confuse us! Marketing scheme. :he

I did see an ad of interest on my local CL for $20/50# non gmo.. feed.. it's slightly farther than I wanna go.. but at these prices AND organic.. it's gonna be hard not to seriously consider making the switch.. That's literally only $1-2 more per bag.. so if I kept my flock size down :oops: could go organic for only like $10 more per month.. THAT might be doable! Anyone in Oregon might be close enough to take advantage of it..

https://oregoncoast.craigslist.org/grd/d/creswell-fresh-milled-chicken-and-pig/7197601451.html

:pop

I currently use Green Mountain Feeds for my flock and I think I will continue to, but just wanna know what people think of purina feeds. Why do you like it? Why don't you like it?
I use Purina Layer pellets with Omega. I figured if I'm going to be eating eggs, I'd make them better for us if thats possible.
For the younger fock, I feed the Medicated Grower Started crumblesand they gobble it up.
Since they are 22 weeks, I'm mixing the pellets with the crumbles to wean them over. Right now, the ratio is 50:50.
I buy it at TSC and they love it.
I also buy their scratch with grains as an occasional treat plus the Oyster shell. If I feel the big girls need a little pick me up because of the Florida heat and humidity, I'll add a little Starter feed to their pellets. Their plumage is full and vibrant.
They walked away from TSC Dumors plus, it had a lot of powder. They also turned their beaks up at the Dumors Scratch too.
I've read on a BYC posting once that Dumors is made by Purina. All I can say about that is, the recipe must be different because my girls won't give it the time or day.
I've put each feed brand side by side and they went for the Purina Brand.
Good luck with your choice.

I am by no way an eggspert on chickens and feed since I am first year chicken mom. I’m still trying to figure out their likes and dislikes. I am not a Purina fan when it comes to dog and cat food. I did however buy their starter feed and first bag of layer feed of Purina feed. They went through it like nothing. As they got older I switched to Dumor and they didn’t like it. ( note that all feed was crumbles). I now opened a new bag of Dr Pol’s feed which are pearls. I guess I will see if they eat it. If not, I plan on going back to Purina Layer feed. But I have joined this sight to learn from other owners and get advice too. I too had concerns about Purina but may switch back if they don’t eat anything else.

I'm still interested with what people are doing with there feed that there chickens refuse to eat. Do you keep it till it's rancid? Do you compost it? Do you give it to someone? Do you try to return it to the store?

I would not wait til it was rancid. I would offer it in the mornings as a wet mash.
A wet mash is simply feed with enough water added to make a cooked oatmeal consistency mash.

If they still refused to eat it and I had no one else that wanted it I would throw it out.

In a compost pile mice may find it extra nummy and increase their numbers. 😳

Back
Top Bottom