Thoughts on Rodent Mace product

I'm sorry but I've yet to hear of any other animal than the rat it was intended for, getting a contact hit of poison. Getting rid of rodents really is not rocket science. I have Feral cat's as a Control point after taking out the problem because cat's won't solve the problem they will just prevent it from happening again. Poison solves the problem. Put it where only the rats and mice can get it. Lock feed up at night in Galvanized Garbage cans, never leave feed out. The end.

I'm sorry but I've yet to hear of any other animal than the rat it was intended for, getting a contact hit of poison. Getting rid of rodents really is not rocket science. I have Feral cat's as a Control point after taking out the problem because cat's won't solve the problem they will just prevent it from happening again. Poison solves the problem. Put it where only the rats and mice can get it. Lock feed up at night in Galvanized Garbage cans, never leave feed out. The end.
I think the jury is still out on the secondary poisoning. https://www.biologicaldiversity.org/campaigns/pesticides_reduction/rodenticides/index.html

This article is balanced despite it coming from an industry magazine. It makes the point that a family dog would have to eat a lot of poisoned rats but also admits that large infestations of rodents, especially rats that can eat quite a lot of poison bait before dying, and warns of predator birds being especially susceptible to poisoning.

https://www.pctonline.com/article/secondary-poisoning-concerns-with-rodent-baits/

Another well balanced article is this one where they also warned of the danger to rodent predators and they educated me on the existence of second generation rat poisons that are near 100% effective because the rodents can eat multiple levels of toxicity before the poison kicks in and kills the vermin.
https://www.audubon.org/magazine/january-february-2013/poisons-used-kill-rodents-have-safer

If there is another way to accomplish the removal of rats it is inhumane and irresponsible to resort to poison. If a person is too poor to afford a proper feeder, excluding the vermin with a good coop, the a case might be made for poison. But like most choices made by the poor it is not the most economical, a good feeder or rat proofing a coop is a one time expense but the poison purchases never end and the appearance of new populations of rodents never ends either. And remember when the flea treatments worked on our pets? Now it is becoming much more difficult to kill off the fleas due to acquired immunity. The same happens with antibiotics and first generation rat poisons that are available to the public.

Just my opinion, others are entitled to their own opinions but not their own facts.

If a person is too poor to afford a proper feeder, excluding the vermin with a good coop, the a case might be made for poison. But like most choices made by the poor it is not the most economical,
Decent information of secondary poison risk but this part.... this is sort of bizarre. "Choices made by the poor" ??? I'm far from poor, and my choice is to NOT buy the feeders you speak of and to instead lock up my feed at night. It's out during the day in cheapo bowls that again, have no reflection on my financial status, demographic, more it's about my Senior level Process Improvement skills (based in Six Sigma.) Birds do not need feed and/or water at night when they are roosting in a coop. Consequently, I lock up my hillbilly feeder bowls in Rodent/Predator proof albeit cheap, cans. Feed is out during day hours where no rodent with a decent rodent IQ would attempt to access it as the journey would take the rodent across the path of my feral cats. I implemented a one-time poisoning approximately 8 years ago when I moved into a previously abandoned country home on a river with a Rat issue. Because I then put the control plan in place, there will be no subsequent poisonings making it safe for me to assert that the theory I will see new populations and forever spend my latte money instead on poison is not based in fact. So to your point, that is also your opinion, but not factual.

Calm down miss thin skin. No one called you poor, the sentences made a case for a valid use of poison.

I would advise leaning that others will have divergent opinions and the expression of their opinion isn't a personal attack.

What ever happened to the American idea of free speech?

BTW cats or no cats, taking feed in at night just means the rats eat during the day.

BTW cats or no cats, taking feed in at night just means the rats eat during the day.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 NO they don't. I killed them.

My dogs and cat's patrol the run where my feed is out for Chickens during the day. I know you don't believe me but nothing other than a chicken dines at my feeders during the day.

For the record I'm not thin skinned and I didn't take your comment personally, I just think it's absurd to connect bad process to "the poor." "The rich" can get this wrong too. You're welcome to free speech just like I am. That's why I like BYC so much better than FB. I way more enjoy people like you who are engaging and willing to talk to it out. It's all good.

Back
Top Bottom