Thoughts on this coop?

We are getting ready to build a coop. This is one I was looking at https://myoutdoorplans.com/animals/4x8-backyard-chicken-coop-plans/ Good size for 4-7 birds easy to follow and tells you exactly what you need. It does need a bigger overhang and bump the roof up so you have the ventilation there. Also I would make bigger vents on the ends instead of those tiny round holes. But a decent coop I think.

I had also searched FB marketplace and found 17 bundles of new shingles for $50 TOTAL! They sell for $33 a bundle! The same guy also has a TON of wood and PVC for free that I can have to use. Of course I had already placed my order for most of my wood since I couldn't find anything on FB marketplace. But figure if I forgot anything or want to make it bigger etc. The wood for an 8x8 coop, a roof covered 8x8 run and a hardware cloth covered 8x10 run (so a LOT of wood) was $1400. But that will build my coop and an 8x18 run so with yours needing to be smaller it would be a lot less. Plus I think VT prices are cheaper than MA prices. :)

How could you have 1 sq foot of ventilation/bird? Can you show me a picture of that? That would be like an entire wall? We will have 4-7 hens.

coopb.jpg

Obviously I have a larger coop to work with (and not maxxed out at the moment, I have 10 birds but built for 12), but I have around 3 sq ft of ventilation per bird. Total 32 sq ft of ventilation, not including either human or pop doors. There's 5 windows, 1 gable vent, 2 floor vents, 40 under eave vent holes front and back, and a ridge vent. In the worst weather I can close up the windows facing oncoming storms and still meet/exceed 1 sq ft per bird.

Hard to argue with those prices.
View attachment 2600921

Obviously I have a larger coop to work with (and not maxxed out at the moment, I have 10 birds but built for 12), but I have around 3 sq ft of ventilation per bird. Total 32 sq ft of ventilation, not including either human or pop doors. There's 5 windows, 1 gable vent, 2 floor vents, 40 under eave vent holes front and back, and a ridge vent. In the worst weather I can close up the windows facing oncoming storms and still meet/exceed 1 sq ft per bird.

and this looks MUCH prettier than my 14 hour build. Its also secure, mine is not.

The only thing I don’t like about the coop you show is the asphalt based roof.(all I am able to see is the exterior Photo) It will pull in the summer heat into the coop. A reflective metal roof is excellent for a chicken coop. Also the ribs that create the openings in the roof panels for ventilation are about the best ventilation you can get. Pulls in the air from down low and exhausting it at the ridge. You don’t need 1sqft per bird. You need air flow exhausting stale moist air.

Back
Top Bottom