Thoughts on this coop?

jennyinvermont

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2021
https://mwhuntercustomwoodworking.com/chicken-villa

We've been wanting to build our own, but honestly it seems like it will cost just as much ($700-$1000+??) and we really don't have the time required. These are super cute! They are also silly expensive. I went to visit the shop and saw they are basically made of composite/compressed plasticky type wood and PVC trim, which I don't love. But also is maybe more durable? I think we would get the 5x5 for 4-6 hens.

But, I've also seen a lot of my neighbors basically just build a box with plywood pieces, so maybe I'm over thinking this? We'd still need to build a run for this. (Though actually, many people around here just free range and have no run. Or just a low electric fence. But I think we want one so we could predator proof it and leave them a couple days if needed).

There's also these, which seem a lot cheaper:
http://www.coopsmto.com/mid-sized.html but maybe less long-lasting?

1617560775156.png

Thank you! It actually has little holes under each of the roof bumps, so lots of ventilation! (I asked the same thing when I visited). I've looked at coop stuff but let me search for the scrap materials! Honestly I'm starting to feel so overwhelmed the more I read!

Very poor ventilation. Those tiny vents and any open spaces in the roof "bumps" amount to a few square inches when you need a minimum of 1 square foot of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation per chicken. :)

Where, in general, are you located? Climate matters as does likely predator load.

What about a hoop coop or a shed conversion?

How many chickens do you have/intend to get?

Adding big louvered gable vents would help with ventilation, or additional windows (maybe one in the human door too). I assume the builder would be willing to make some modifications since he touts "optional addons" in some of the builds.

Thank you! It actually has little holes under each of the roof bumps, so lots of ventilation! (I asked the same thing when I visited). I've looked at coop stuff but let me search for the scrap materials! Honestly I'm starting to feel so overwhelmed the more I read!
It's daunting!
Like getting a sip of water out of a firehose.
But it's well worth the time to do the research before building or buying.

Both your links show coops not really well designed...mostly because of the lack of big roof overhangs that can provide soffit ventilation and protect open windows(top hinged are best).

There are a ton of not so great designs out there.

I see you're in Vermont, so protected winter ventilation is very important.

Welcome to BYC! @jennyinvermont
Here's how to add general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1617630461787.png

It's daunting!
Like getting a sip of water out of a firehose.
But it's well worth the time to do the research before building or buying.

Both your links show coops not really well designed...mostly because of the lack of big roof overhangs that can provide soffit ventilation and protect open windows(top hinged are best).

There are a ton of not so great designs out there.

I see you're in Vermont, so protected winter ventilation is very important.

Welcome to BYC! @jennyinvermont
Here's how to add general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2600268
Hmm thanks. Now I'm thinking about building this one:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/238472...instant?ref=landingpage_similar_listing_top-3
But I feel like you will say the exact same thing. Can't I just cut small ventilation windows in top corners, and make roof a little bigger?

Again, it's cute, but lacks ventilation, better roof overhangs, and those nest boxes are actually a poor idea as they are shown.
A walk-in coop at ground lever is often best, and with a hardware cloth apron it can be made safe. Best, and most expensive, is a concrete base or foundation.
For winter, a roofed run is terrific! Otherwise, you will be shoveling it out so the birds will go outside, and if they are inside for any length of time, double your square footage per bird.
We free range ouf flock, and do have daytime predator losses sometimes. If we have a raptor visit, our birds are locked in for two or more weeks at a time. Also when there's snow on the ground, they won't go out in it. So, our coop and small covered run are big enough for the flock to stay sane and safe during those times. We have eight square feet per bird, including many bantams, and four or five separate out of sight areas with feeders and waterers, so things stay peaceful.
Woods coops look terrific to me! Ours is a shed design, and works great, but look at Woods coops too.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom