Thoughts on this for Starter Coop?

SouthernCalBeachChick

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 17, 2011
Southern California
How does this look for a starter coop for 5 pullets? We'll be building something permanent in the next few months.
57" tall 67" long 47" wide.
Feedback appreciated.

Edited: Link removed so seller doesn't receive any more calls. Thanks!

Last edited:
Looks weather tight and fairly well consructed.

Small can be advantageous, and as your chicken population grows a small area could be used for a broody hen raising chicks or isolating a sick bird or a quarantine for new birds.

The downside, it looks like cleaning would be difficult.

For transition to get you started, until you build permanet coop--it looks readily available and not unreasonable price.

All that said, crowding is rough on chickens. Will you get 5 at one time?

For my part, I have Eglu go---which non-Eglu people evaluate as too small. Amazingly I have 3-hens, and absolutely no problems. So I can endorse that small can be beautiful.

Have fun with your new hens~

Are you letting them out to free range in your yard or are they living in the the coop all day?

And what is the actual size of the house part?

I'm going to look at it now & will measure the coop part. I do let them out to free range, under supervision. We have 3 acres, but tons of predators & the minute I bring the girls out to the exercise pen (covered) the hawks start circling. I think I'll probably get this, by the time I move the 5 (Buff Orps, Barred Rock, Americauna & Sex Link) to their permanent coop, I can move the babies (2 silkies, 3 showgirls) into this.

Offer $85! I think it looks pretty good! If your chickens are only going to be in it for a short amount of time, I might help you squeak by until you build a decent sized one. It would be great for an emergency coop later on for separating out chicks or chickens later on! I think you lucked out seeing that!

Back
Top Bottom