thoughts on this TSC brooder situation?

Mar 26, 2020
Southern Vermont
I follow Goldshaw Farm on youtube, he's a fellow Vermonter ( an honorary title, but ill let him have it) I have also noticed similar issues in addition to general nastiness of the brooders. here are a couple of his videos, I will say I am proud of him for speaking his mind and not backing down. also a video from another farm, hats off to them for being proactive and raising awareness. perhaps others around the country are also reaching out about this.

just opening this up for input, I am curious what you all think.

Last edited:
It honestly just confuses me so bad like it seems it would be such a waste of money on their part the chicks they had before these brooders did so well and you could tell so it is just the strangest thing to me and there is also no way those brooders are cheaper than those big troughs they were in unless they got some kinda discount on those dumb things

I personally love them, as I've said on every thread about them here. My store has seen fewer losses now as opposed to in the troughs. A LOT of stuff was going wrong for everyone a month ago, heck, I lost 2/3 of my chicks I ordered in and my brooders were perfect. People seem to conveniently forget tsc ships birds in and that they don't hatch them. There are going to be losses, just like if you were to ship them in yourself

The heater is way too far up. My husband and I were looking at where they’re selling those brooders now, and my thought is that it would be handy, but that dang heat plate would need to be lowered or supplemented. From what I’ve seen, once the stock gets too low, the poor babies can’t get warm. They’re relying more on body mass for heat. Plus, it never really looks clean. I was not a huge fan of TSC’s brooder situation before and had hoped this change would help, but it’s not looking too good.

if it isn't the deaths or the heat problem its the escaping problem for me they can fall out of that thing from an insane height for a baby chick

It honestly just confuses me so bad like it seems it would be such a waste of money on their part the chicks they had before these brooders did so well and you could tell so it is just the strangest thing to me and there is also no way those brooders are cheaper than those big troughs they were in unless they got some kinda discount on those dumb things
More money per square foot. Before when they used stock tanks they could only get four to six different breeds/species in the area, and they lost money on bedding. Now they can have a different breed or species in each box. I saw one local store selling turkeys the other day. I’ve never seen that around here before. Even the lost chicks from the not great brooders are going to be eclipsed by the volume they sell just from having the stock on hand.

Hate them! The one in Greeley CO had so many stuffed in them not all had access to food, water, or heat. I feel so badly for them. The turkeys where so cold and crushing eachother to get under the heat plate. I follow this guy on YouTube and I am so glad he spoke up and is spreading awareness 💙

Back
Top Bottom