Thoughts on Wyandottes vs Dominiques?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cascade, Feb 13, 2014.

1. cascade

cascade New Egg

Jan 17, 2014
    I know the question of "which breed should I get" is highly personal and subjective, but I'm looking for some thoughts from those that have kept Wyandottes and Dominiques. I'm trying to decide between the two breeds for a small flock of 5-6 hens. I don't intend to start with a rooster, though I may decide to add one in future years.

I want a dual-purpose bird that is a decent egg layer, hardy (not just weather - we don't get too extreme in WA - but just general hardiness and healthiness), and good at foraging. My intent is to keep them in the coop and large enclosed run while I'm at work, then free range in the afternoons and evenings. Quiet is a plus, but not required. I'm not looking for a pet that will necessarily want to sit on my lap, but it would be nice if they weren't afraid of me and wanted to work alongside me in the garden.

Availability isn't an issue, because my local feed store will be carrying both breeds this spring.

I'm sure I can't go wrong with either, but I'd love to tap into BYC's knowledge and experience to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
  3. BGMatt

BGMatt Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Battle Ground, WA
    If you're just getting hatchery/feed store chicks there will be no difference. If you ever get the real thing, the Dominique is slightly smaller, but likely a better egg layer. While the Wyandotte is a larger bird and would likely make a better table bird.

4. cascade

cascade New Egg

Jan 17, 2014
    Thanks, I really appreciate the info. I do understand that I'm not getting the "real thing" with hatchery chicks, but I'm just looking for a backyard flock and not show birds at this point in time. Thanks again!

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Get some of each and see which you like better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by