Thousands of common grackles?

Venevee

In the Brooder
Oct 12, 2016
Okay, so I live in Iowa, grackles are not uncommon here. But just now today I look outside and there are literally hundreds if not thousands of grackles in the trees right in my yard! My chickens were outside and didn't seem too bothered by them. I step outside and record them because it was so loud and they sounded so cool and I just couldn't believe it! I've never seen this many grackles in one place. I'm still trying to figure out why there are so many of them, where did they come from? I've never seen a whole lot of grackles on our property and we've lived here for almost three years! Anyways, just a cool, strange thing that happened to me today birb related.

That's so cool!
thumbsup.gif

When we first moved out here (47.5 years ago) the telephone lines were covered with starlings - plus MANY more on the ground. When they would get spooked they would all fly up together and it honestly darkened the sky. I can see how devastating they can be crops. At some point we started getting less and less, maybe the Nile virus wiped a lot out. Nowadays we don't get enough to be concerned about it.

Grackles, starlings, and red wing blackbirds congregate in enormous flocks during the winter. I have seen flocks fly over that stretch from horizon to horizon. In the past, a few communities have been so bothered by the vast quantities of birds roosting in their trees at night (concerns were voiced about diseases the birds might carry), eradication measures have been taken, with thousands of birds being killed.

Grackles, starlings, and red wing blackbirds congregate in enormous flocks during the winter. I have seen flocks fly over that stretch from horizon to horizon. In the past, a few communities have been so bothered by the vast quantities of birds roosting in their trees at night (concerns were voiced about diseases the birds might carry), eradication measures have been taken, with thousands of birds being killed.
What did they use to eradicate starlings? (looking for ideas, we have a big problem here)

Back
Top Bottom