1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Thread for my new ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by PearlTheDuck, Feb 21, 2017.

1. PearlTheDuck

PearlTheDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2016
    Texas
    Thanks! Your ducks are gorgeous! Yes, It would be interesting! What makes you think the Pekin might be a Drake? I've actually thought it is a drake because it's so friendly! But we'll have to wait and see :)

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Good memory TheTwoRoos! Everyone is fine. You were right that it was a pecking order issue. After about two weeks the younger male won the top drake spot. He is a much kinder leader and so there is usually peace. Your hen is very pretty, by the way! [​IMG] PearlThe Duck, your ducklings are beautiful! I miss having ducklings so I am going to have to live vicariously (dh only agreed to three ducks and I have five and like my marriage). So, keep the pictures coming! :) It will be interesting to see if the Peking ends up a drake and the khakis hens. [/quote nice flock too

3. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015

Drakes are mire friendly it seems.By 3 ir 4 months you may be able tell.I remmebr one of my pekin drakes at about 3 1/2 minths would chase me to get hia girl.He would also call to her.

4. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    I had two more khakis but the drake git killed a long time ago and the other female got killed by an unknown predator,but that was just back in decmeber i think.The drakes are ok too,mine could fly.

5. QuackSpeak

QuackSpeak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2017
    I spelled picture wrong in the ovation lol... [​IMG] Picture not picure

1 person likes this.
  6. cheezenkwackers

cheezenkwackers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2016
    Memphis, TN
    Thank you!
    Like you both said, I thought he might be a drake because he is so friendly. Both my drakes were my favorites when they were little because they were so nice. Now that they are 6 months and 1 year old, I think my girls are a little sweeter than them.

7. PearlTheDuck

Oct 19, 2016
    Texas

Hmm.. well we will have to wait and see! :)

here in Texas it's going to get up to 100 F tommarow IN FEBRUARY, it's supposed to be winter! But then again, I don't like the cold anyway

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Wow 100 already you all are as hardy a folk as those living in frigid temps.

How is your lil Pekin doing today? do you give them vits in their drinking water? I know some don't but I have always given Poultry Nutri Drench in their drinking water daily for the first week then every other day for 2 weeks then taper off to 1X a week. Just my way of helping them get as good a start as possible.

I gave my children multi vits daily too [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  9. PearlTheDuck

Oct 19, 2016
    Texas

Pekin is doing great, they are all very active today, playing in their water and running around.

I have never given Nutri Drench to any of the birds I've had, but I will definitely consider it.

1 person likes this.
  10. Ashleymarie529

Ashleymarie529 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2017
    Katy (Houston), TX
    Amen about the Texas heat in FEBRUARY. It stinks some times, but I'll take it over cold weather! ;)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by