three Broody hens swapping nests?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kotiya, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Kotiya

Kotiya Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2009
    South-West Ohio
    We had three hens who chose to sit in one of three nests (each had 10-12 eggs). Every few days we noticed that they were switching nests. After a month, no eggs hatched so we pulled all the eggs. They still seem to want to brood. Should we let them try again? We only have 1 rooster and 30+ hens, so at least a couple of the eggs should have been fertilized. We could just keep taking the eggs and eventually they'll get tired of sitting there on an empty nest. We could figure something out to make sure the eggs they sit on are fertilized. And we could move them in their boxes to a "hoop coop" that we have so no other chickens bother them. Any other suggestions appreciated. [​IMG]
    We don't *need* babies, we just have never seem a momma hen care for babies. My kids love the idea of watching on sit on the eggs, then caring for the chicks. Do I need this hassle right now?

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Well, if you don't really need babies, then maybe you are better off not letting them set on eggs. But if that is what you decide to do, you may want to allow them to have their own brooder area if possible. When my girls go broody in the nesting boxes, I move them to individual brooders, so that they are not bothered by the other hens and so that they don't keep getting back in the wrong nesting box.

Also with 1 rooster to 30+ hens, I"m not sure how many eggs will be fertile. That's a lot of hens for him.

3. Kotiya

Kotiya Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2009
    South-West Ohio
    what would that look like? I have an extra large dog crate I could put the nesting boxes in outside with food and water. Is that what you mean?

4. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Sure, your brooder can be anything that you want it to be and at the same time giving your hen plenty of room to get up and stretch. There is no special type of brooder to use. Because I have so many chickens, I had to make a different type of brooder to hold my girls. A lot of people use dog crates and it works great.

Here is a pic of what 1 of my outside brooders look like.
    [​IMG]

5. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by