Three chickens 'broody'?

Isyovi

Songster
Apr 13, 2020
The Netherlands
So 3 of my 8 hens are taking turns sitting in 2 nest boxes. They just sit there really puffed up and when i put my hand in the box they make a screeching sound. They never pick me and let me get the eggs from underneath them, thats why i don't really think they are broody. It's still weird behaviour for me, so anyone ideas?

For 8 hens I would probably add another nest anyway. It's not necessary though.
Unless you plan on giving the hens eggs or chicks. Then I would definitely add another nest.

Thanks! I have never experienced it before so i had no idea. Do i need to get another nest box?
Are you planning to have them hatch? If so, depending on your setup, you may want to set them up each in their own separate enclosure, or may need to add additional nests so the chickens that are still laying can continue to do so.

If you don't want to hatch, best to break them.

Is she on nest most the day and all night?
When you pull her out of nest and put her on the ground, does she flatten right back out into a fluffy screeching pancake?
Does she walk around making a low cluckcluckcluckcluckcluck(ticking bomb) sound on her way back to the nest?

If so, then she is probably broody and you'll have to decide how to manage it.

Yes, if you don't want her to hatch out chicks, IMO it's best to break her broodiness promptly.
My experience goes about like this: After her setting for 3 days and nights in the nest (or as soon as I know they are broody), I put her in a wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller wire(1x2) on the bottom but no bedding, set up on a couple of 4x4's right in the coop or run with feed and water.

After 48 hours I let her out of crate very near roosting time(30-60 mins) if she goes to roost great, if she goes to nest put her back in crate.

Tho not necessary a chunk of 2x4 for a 'roost' was added to crate floor after pic was taken, gives the feet a break from the wire floor and encourages roosting.
1620824211209.png

Back
Top Bottom