Three Days in a row for a Faverolles?

April0617

Songster
Feb 28, 2020
SE Wisconsin
I'm starting so see the benefit of a mixed flock with different colored eggs 🙄 Three days in a row from one Faverolles, or would your gut tell you that my other Faverolles has started laying, too? Yesterday's was outside the nest box with no nesting material messed with, all of her other ones have been in the nest box with a very specifically organized nest adjusted to her liking. I'm thinking they are both laying now...I know it doesn't really matter, but I'm kind of liking keeping track of who's laying what when 😊

I'm starting so see the benefit of a mixed flock with different colored eggs 🙄 Three days in a row from one Faverolles, or would your gut tell you that my other Faverolles has started laying, too? Yesterday's was outside the nest box with no nesting material messed with, all of her other ones have been in the nest box with a very specifically organized nest adjusted to her liking. I'm thinking they are both laying now...I know it doesn't really matter, but I'm kind of liking keeping track of who's laying what when 😊

It could be either of them.
Do you know how to check their vents to see who's laying?
Look at the vent (butt hole) of a chicken that you know is not laying, and then one that you know is, and the difference will be fairly obvious. Then check the ones you're not sure about.

Not-laying: small, puckered vent. Looks like no egg could fit through that hole.
Laying: larger, moist, stretchy-looking vent. Looks like it could stretch just a bit more and have an egg come out (obviously, that is what it does.)

I agree, it can be fun to know exactly which chickens laid what eggs when :)

It could be either of them.
Do you know how to check their vents to see who's laying?
Look at the vent (butt hole) of a chicken that you know is not laying, and then one that you know is, and the difference will be fairly obvious. Then check the ones you're not sure about.

Not-laying: small, puckered vent. Looks like no egg could fit through that hole.
Laying: larger, moist, stretchy-looking vent. Looks like it could stretch just a bit more and have an egg come out (obviously, that is what it does.)

I agree, it can be fun to know exactly which chickens laid what eggs when :)
I'll have to try that!! Thanks 😊

I'm starting so see the benefit of a mixed flock with different colored eggs 🙄

I know it doesn't really matter, but I'm kind of liking keeping track of who's laying what when 😊

Maybe something to aim for in the future. :) This is why I like having a mixed flock, and try to track egg shapes/colors for each bird best I can. It's nice being able to pick up an egg and know exactly who laid it, but also makes it much easier to treat for any laying issues (like calcium supplementing) or egg quality issues (like chronic meat spots).

Maybe something to aim for in the future. :) This is why I like having a mixed flock, and try to track egg shapes/colors for each bird best I can. It's nice being able to pick up an egg and know exactly who laid it, but also makes it much easier to treat for any laying issues (like calcium supplementing) or egg quality issues (like chronic meat spots).
I'm hoping with a little time and a lot more watching maybe we'll be able to differentiate between the two of them! At least we can narrow it down to two out of six if we're seeing a problem for now.

Back
Top Bottom