Three ducks, TWO males. How bad is this going to be.

lilmama

Songster
9 Years
May 2, 2010
Just found out I have two males to one female. Got them as chicks. Hoped for the best. I'm bummed!
The males are Pekins and waaay bigger then my little Cayuga female. At four months, one is already starting to jump on her in the pool and I'm afraid they'll hurt or drown her.
I am current;y looking to get another female or two and trying to find a good home for at least one of my males... but it's easier said than done and I don't know how long it will take.
I only have one coop/run so separation is not an option.
Has anyone had any experience with two males and only one female? I'm worried!

Thanks.

Last edited:
There not going to drown her suprisingly it looks like it
big_smile.png
they are just mating and cayuga is takin her part or the male wouldn't be near her TRUST ME
lol.png
Dont worry some time the males will fight for her but theres always a winner you can look up a picture of what that breed would look like and trust me they can mate.. I saw a pekin and mallard ...
lol.png
Hope that Helped

________________________________---

15, Chickens, 2 White pekins, 2 Mallards, 1 Black Swedish, 2 Chow Dogs, 1 Teacup Chihauhau

In fact, two males can drown a single female. It happened to a friend of mine who had two drakes penned with one duck. The males can 'compete' with each other to mate with the female without givnig her a break and the female can become exhausted and drown.

Keep an eye on how much attention the drakes are giving to the duck. If they are both mating with her too much then I'd do something quickly. Can you divide the pen you have in two with a sheet of mesh or timber? If you can't do that then at least don't give them swimming water in their pen - that will remove the drowning risk. However the other issue that arises then is that the duck is at risk of leg injuries due to the weight of the drakes mating on land.....so separation is best if you can manage it.

yes, I know it's from mating.
big_smile.png

and I also had a neighbor who lost a female duck to two drakes... I just didn't know if it was common or not--thus my post.
I'm on it doing everything I can to change the situation quickly. Right now, there is just one "on" her, he is clearly the dominant one- I'm sure the other male will be joining in soon. Hopefully I can resolve it quickly.
Thanks.

AnDrEw&Cole :

no problem and im pretty sure that the female wouldnt go back if she didn't want to mate
wink.png

Unfortunately, ducks can have little choice in the matter when the male is bigger, bossier and faster and there are two of them.

Good on you for getting on to it quickly, Lilmama
thumbsup.gif

I actually have a pair of utility pekins ( much smaller than the standard show or meat bird ) - and they live with Monty who is my bachelor Aylesbury. He is very large - and at first I watched them closely, but they are very happy together- and there hasnt ever been a problem with her being over mated - in fact- when I say that Monty is a bachelor... that is on fact the truth- he doesnt mate with little Crumpet at all. It is a very out of the ordinary situation- but Monty isnt particularly normal.
big_smile.png

I actually have a pair of utility pekins ( much smaller than the standard show or meat bird ) - and they live with Monty who is my bachelor Aylesbury. He is very large - and at first I watched them closely, but they are very happy together- and there hasnt ever been a problem with her being over mated - in fact- when I say that Monty is a bachelor... that is on fact the truth- he doesnt mate with little Crumpet at all. It is a very out of the ordinary situation- but Monty isnt particularly normal. big_smile

smile.png
I can only hope for such good luck!​

Back
Top Bottom