Three hens digging holes? Whats up with that?

They will also dig those holes and sit in them when its hot like it was today here in Texas(close to 100) because the ground is a little bit cooler and they will sit in the holes and cool off. Saw some of em doing it today, kind of funny but nice seeing a chicken be a chicken.

Minerva was happily sitting in her very own little hole today when the ducks came over to investigate the situation.

41679_ducksharassingminerva.jpg

Look at the glazed look in her eye. They used to dig beside the old coop in the winter because it was in the sun and sheltered, now the garden looks like bombs have gone off. They have one half the garden and I have the other half. Next year we will switch sides.

39800_dscn2846.jpg

I have a bad situation with my little flock of 5. The original group, 3 plymouth rock were happy as could be. They were about a4 months old when I got them. Then I was feeling kind of, oh, this is great and went out and got two 3 month old black/blue austroplops. They never fit in well with the original three and were clearly low on the order. ok, i said, that's the way it goes. but about a month ago I noticed that the one of the austrolops was being pecked to a point of having no feathers on her rear. Then I saw with my own eyes, that her friend, the larger austroplop was pecking her. I have isolated the larger one for a few days in a dog pen near the coop, then the weak one for a few days and now again the big one. She has been in there for about 4 days and even laid an egg today. Now, what do I do??? Some people say get rid of the weak one, some say the strong one, I, on the other hand I am happy to rotate them in and out of isolation. What do you all think? Am I nuts?

I would love it very much if someone could please respond to my post. I am quite desperate. And don't know what to do. Thanks

Quote:
Please do post a new thread with your new subject and you are sure to get plenty of attention to your situation. People reading this thread (like me!) are expecting cute stories about digging holes! My birds are still young so I wish I had an answer for you but I've had no experience with this yet. If I see your post I will try to bump you. Best of luck!

Yep they will dig and dig and dig lol.I was manic and had to free range basicly every bird I raised .This year WEEEEEEEE I have grass in my yard.I do have a few "pothole's" in front outside yard but NOTHING like I did have.I have flower's in bed and pot's too.This whole new flock most have their own coops right now or area's.We are tolerating a few OE which can fly over the fence and some silkie's that basicly stay on the grass is they do get in yard. DH sits in wait for one to go near flower beds or digging in yard with water hose.He says they got 5 acre's to scratch on and they not eating his grass this year lol.

Quote:
If you're cool with rotating them out, that's fine. However, if it gets to the point where this is frustrating for you, I would remove the stronger one. The reason why is because that one is likely to go after another bird after the current weak one is gone (it has a reputation for especially strong bullying). Please make sure that the weaker bird isn't wounded, because chickens have a tendency to pick at others' open wounds to the point of cannibalism. If you see wounds on a bird, isolate that bird from the others immediately and post in the Emergencies section for some help dealing with the wound.

I hope this helps.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom