1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Three hens digging holes? Whats up with that?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jasont, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Jasont

Jasont Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2010
    Malvern
    I have three of my hens digging holes and sitting in them. They are not laying eggs in the holes, they just sit in them. When i bend down to pick them up they do not move. They let me pick them up but seem fine when i put them back down. they start scratching around the yard and eating. other than sitting in holes they dig, they seem very normal. anybody ever heard of this?

2. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    My run looks like a lunar scape.
    They dig and dust bathe in them.
    Or, it's like in 'Chicken Run' the movie, and they all have spoons and are breaking out.

3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:Yup, they just like scratching and digging. A chicken hobby if you will....
    Sometimes I think mine are heading for China, the holes are so deep.

1 person likes this.
  4. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    They are dust bathing. Perfectly normal. It's a natural way for them to clean themselves.

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Yup..normal. All my flower beds are destroyed... [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. mkwags

mkwags Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2009
    Davis County, Utah
    Mine do it too. I hear it's dust bathing. I think it's funny, but they enjoy it!

7. ruby

ruby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    Gold Hill, Alabama
    I haven't had a flower bed in ten years![​IMG]

8. Jasont

Jasont Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2010
    Malvern
    weel, i guess the verdict is in... i have seen them dust bathe before but never with all the holes... yeah it looks like a lunar landscape...

9. ellieroo

ellieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    We have a small hill facing south and yup it looks like a lunar landscape but is even funnier when all 12 bantys are in their holes!! Trying to see who has the deepest best bunker!![​IMG]

10. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    Yep let the bathing begin... I say that because we have been so wet up here that the girls were dusting in the coop. Now that it's dryed out a bit they are back in business [​IMG] Dh covers up the holes once a week and stomps on the ground... Then the girls get to start it all over again. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by