Three hens digging holes? Whats up with that?

Jasont

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 20, 2010
Malvern
I have three of my hens digging holes and sitting in them. They are not laying eggs in the holes, they just sit in them. When i bend down to pick them up they do not move. They let me pick them up but seem fine when i put them back down. they start scratching around the yard and eating. other than sitting in holes they dig, they seem very normal. anybody ever heard of this?

My run looks like a lunar scape.
They dig and dust bathe in them.
Or, it's like in 'Chicken Run' the movie, and they all have spoons and are breaking out.

Quote:
Yup, they just like scratching and digging. A chicken hobby if you will....
Sometimes I think mine are heading for China, the holes are so deep.

Yup..normal. All my flower beds are destroyed...
he.gif
hit.gif

weel, i guess the verdict is in... i have seen them dust bathe before but never with all the holes... yeah it looks like a lunar landscape...

We have a small hill facing south and yup it looks like a lunar landscape but is even funnier when all 12 bantys are in their holes!! Trying to see who has the deepest best bunker!!
lol.png

Yep let the bathing begin... I say that because we have been so wet up here that the girls were dusting in the coop. Now that it's dryed out a bit they are back in business
D.gif
Dh covers up the holes once a week and stomps on the ground... Then the girls get to start it all over again.
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom